Keenum, who has also had unsuccessful stints with the Texans and Rams, went 11-3 in the regular season as a starter for the Vikings, throwing for 3,547 yards and 22 touchdowns with just seven interceptions.
However, with the Vikings one of the major contenders for Kirk Cousins' signature, Keenum has been looking to cash in on his status of last year's stellar campaign and the Broncos look to be his landing spot.
The Broncos had inside knowledge into Keenum due to senior personnel adviser and former coach Gary Kubiak's relationship with the free-agent quarterback.More news: Pompeo and Circumstance: A 'Rexit' State of Affairs
With a sparkling new stadium, stacked roster and head coaching stability, the Vikings jumped to the head of the line of potential suitors for Cousins.
The 30-year-old will look to help steer the Broncos to a bounce-back season after they went 5-11 in 2017.
At the scouting combine, two weeks before the start of free agency, Elway did compare the "fluid" nature of chasing a quarterback in free agency this year to the pursuit of Manning.
Keenum would have veterans Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders as his targets in Denver after Elway chose not to release either of the expensive wide receivers.More news: Federer breezes into Indian Wells fourth round
That included choosing among the draft prospects that include Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and others. Misses don't bother me.
It is not certain yet what sort of contract that Keenum, who made $2 million last season, will get. "Obviously, we have to get better at that position".
"There were some things we should have done differently that we didn't do".More news: India's Solar Financing May Have Peaked For Now at $10B in 2017
- Amazon giving monthly free games to Twitch Prime users
- Teacher 'Accidentally' Fires Gun In Class
- Google Plus Codes for Maps announced as digital location-based addressing system
- The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ microcomputer promises more speed
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy: Trump's 'Big Game' on Guns Falls Short
- Iran invites Pakistan, China to join India in Chabahar port project
- Trump considering Perry for veterans affairs secretary
- Broadcom to stay on deal path after Qualcomm halt, say analysts
- Met Éireann forecasting snow showers for St Patrick's Day!
- Suspect in Binghamton University student's death arrested in Nicaragua