Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho admitted his side was stunned by Sevilla's first goal but he's already looking beyond the shock 2-1 loss to Sevilla which saw them crash out of the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday at Old Trafford. The one-nil victory over 10-man Shakhtar Donetsk marks the first time since 2008, the Italian side have gone beyond the round of 16.More news: Milenina leads Russian medal haul in PyeongChang with cross-country sprint gold
Jose Mourinho has spent more on just six transfers since taking over at Manchester United than Sevilla's whole squad is worth. They let the game go until a very risky period for us, which they did, and they scored a goal. "So this is nothing new for this football club" - which many Red Devils' fans deemed unacceptable.
The only trophy that the side might now claim is the FA Cup, making Saturday's quarter-final at home to Brighton a must-win game for Mourinho. I am the same but no time for drama because Saturday we have another match'. He said United looked like a team full of "strangers".More news: Google celebrated Pi Day with special Doodle
After eliminating AGF in the 1958 European Cup, Sevilla lost to eventual champion Real Madrid 8-0 in the first leg of the quarterfinals at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, when Alfredo Di Stefano scored four goals.
Having a 0-0 draw from the first leg in Spain, United would have been confident of getting the result they needed to advance last night.More news: Teacher 'Accidentally' Fires Gun In Class
His approach isn't pragmatic because a pragmatic manager treats a game on its merits - if a match is there to be won, he'll utilise the talents of his team to exploit a weakness in the opposition. Everything produced by the United forwards against Sevilla was improvised and off the cuff, and even when they win they're stodgy in attack. With the quality that we have in the team, I think that we should have gone through. "We played a team decorated with big-money signings and superstars and we were better". You are going for a place in the Champions League quarter-final and there was no desire, heavy legs.
- Federal Appeals Court Upholds Most of Texas' Sanctuary Cities Law
- Halep, Williams through to last eight
- Ex-President Lee Faces Questioning in Corruption Probe
- Met Éireann forecasting snow showers for St Patrick's Day!
- Evacuations ordered ahead of next Southern California storm
- Browns still awaiting decision from star tackle Joe Thomas
- 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald' trailer takes Potterheads back to Hogwarts
- Keenum Preparing to Sign with Denver
- Stewart reunites with Shula, Gettleman as he joins the Giants Video
- 3 reasons Rams should consider signing Jordy Nelson following release