The flights cancelled were to Mumbai, Kolkata, Pune, Jaipur, Srinagar, Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, Delhi, Dehradun, Amritsar, Bengaluru and Hyderabad, among others. The regulator said it will make further decisions on the matter after consulting with the European Aviation Safety Agency and engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney.
The Gurgaon-based IndiGo cancelled 47 of its 1,000-odd flights per day, while the Wadia Group-promoted GoAir said it had cancelled 18 flights. On other cases, like if the flight timing has been brought forward by 1 hour or more from the scheduled time of departure or or if it has been postponed by 2 hours or more, for travel beyond 48 hours. They would like to restore the flights as soon as possible by making alternative arrangements.More news: Arun Jaitley files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls from Uttar Pradesh
The directive followed instances of the engines shut-down during flights and rejected take-offs involving the A320 neo family aircraft. "But we can not play with any issue related to safety and safety is paramount".
The government said that no aircraft with a faulty engine will be allowed to take off.More news: Positive energy, genuine affection in Sonia's dinner: Rahul
In the national capital, Prabhu said the planes have been grounded only for passenger safety. After an IndiGo flight bound for Lucknow returned to Ahmedabad within 40 minutes as it got airborne due to a mid-air engine failure, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation cracked the whip.
Taking into consideration the safety of aircraft operations, the director of the DCGA said in its order on March 12 that the A320 Neos comprising of PW1100 engines beyond the ESN 450 have been grounded on an immediate basis.More news: Hampton Roads duo drives Radford to first ever NCAA tournament win
The Mumbai-Delhi air fares have increased three-fold as Indigo and GoAir Airlines cancelled several flights after 11-A320 neo planes were grounded. "The corrective action has been approved and we have already begun to deliver production engines with the upgraded configuration". The ongoing problems with the engines raise concerns regarding passenger safety in Indian skies.
- Amazon giving monthly free games to Twitch Prime users
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro Goes On Sale Today
- McLeish call-ups boost for Scotland youths, says Gemmill
- Superb Dzeko goal sends Roma into quarter-finals
- Trump tariff move could spark trade wars that will hurt all: WTO
- Albert Wilson intends to sign with Dolphins
- Championship round-up: Aston Villa slip to shock defeat against QPR
- Supreme Court bars foreign lawyers and firms from practising law in India
- Queer Eye: Tom and ex-wife Abby are engaged!
- Parliament stalemate continues, government, Opposition trade charges