Dubbed Pi Day, this comes right after Google recognised William Henry Perkins who had first discovered a synthetic purple coloured dye used in clothing and painting. March 14 (3.14) is celebrated annually as "Pi Day", the approximation day of the mathematical constant π (3.14159265358979).
Pi is a mathematical constant, meaning it isn't changed by the size of the numbers it's used to equate, and it is irrational, meaning it has an infinite number of digits that never repeat. Originally defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, it now has various equivalent definitions and appears in many formulas in all areas of mathematics and physics.More news: New Splinter Cell Game Spotted on Amazon Ahead of Announcement
For the 30th anniversary of Pi Day, Google went there. For those who want to try their hand at creating a pie like Ansel's, all of the recipes and directions are available on Google's doodle site, but there's no guarantee it will come out looking as handsome as his.More news: Browns still awaiting decision from star tackle Joe Thomas
Here's a list of some places with Pi Day promotions.
Did you know that there is Pi language?More news: China Threatens Trade Retaliation against US Agricultural Commodities
How Many Numbers Are in Pi?Mike Keith wrote a book "Not A Wake" entirely in Pilish. The website also has a record of the problems from previous years. The ancient Babylonians calculated pi roughly 4,000 years ago. Shaw chose March 14, or 3.14 - the first three digits of pi - as Pi Day. And, those wishing to mark to the occasion often do so by enjoying a slice of their favourite pie. The challenge, which was created by the Education Office of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, is now in its fifth year. This involves the calculation of Martian earthquakes, the helium rain on Jupiter and the rotation rate of asteroids and even the solar eclipse.
- Teachers back walkout protesting gun violence
- China congratulates Nepal President Bhandari on re-election
- The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ microcomputer promises more speed
- 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald' trailer takes Potterheads back to Hogwarts
- Keenum Preparing to Sign with Denver
- Suspect in Binghamton University student's death arrested in Nicaragua
- Philippines Duterte to issue notice of withdrawal from ICC
- Pre-registration for Warner Bros. Westworld mobile game is now open
- Murphy Has Big Plans, Unveils First Budget As NJ's Governor
- 3 reasons Rams should consider signing Jordy Nelson following release