Dubbed Pi Day, this comes right after Google recognised William Henry Perkins who had first discovered a synthetic purple coloured dye used in clothing and painting. March 14 (3.14) is celebrated annually as "Pi Day", the approximation day of the mathematical constant π (3.14159265358979).
Pi is a mathematical constant, meaning it isn't changed by the size of the numbers it's used to equate, and it is irrational, meaning it has an infinite number of digits that never repeat. Originally defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, it now has various equivalent definitions and appears in many formulas in all areas of mathematics and physics.More news: Carlos Hyde to sign with Cleveland Browns
For the 30th anniversary of Pi Day, Google went there. For those who want to try their hand at creating a pie like Ansel's, all of the recipes and directions are available on Google's doodle site, but there's no guarantee it will come out looking as handsome as his.More news: Federal Appeals Court Upholds Most of Texas' Sanctuary Cities Law
Here's a list of some places with Pi Day promotions.
Did you know that there is Pi language?More news: Things We Want to See When Iris Suits up on 'The Flash'
How Many Numbers Are in Pi?Mike Keith wrote a book "Not A Wake" entirely in Pilish. The website also has a record of the problems from previous years. The ancient Babylonians calculated pi roughly 4,000 years ago. Shaw chose March 14, or 3.14 - the first three digits of pi - as Pi Day. And, those wishing to mark to the occasion often do so by enjoying a slice of their favourite pie. The challenge, which was created by the Education Office of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, is now in its fifth year. This involves the calculation of Martian earthquakes, the helium rain on Jupiter and the rotation rate of asteroids and even the solar eclipse.
- Browns still awaiting decision from star tackle Joe Thomas
- Pre-registration for Warner Bros. Westworld mobile game is now open
- Apple to buy digital magazine service Texture
- Ravens Not To Pick Up Option For RT Howard, Release RB Woodhead
- The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ microcomputer promises more speed
- Teacher 'Accidentally' Fires Gun In Class
- Jose Mourinho Has 'No Regrets' After Manchester United's UCL Defeat to Sevilla
- Met Éireann forecasting snow showers for St Patrick's Day!
- Evacuations ordered ahead of next Southern California storm
- Suspect in Binghamton University student's death arrested in Nicaragua