The Bluebirds have a tough week ahead with visits to Brentford and Derby County to negotiate, but they need just three points between the two games to ensure they head into the global break with second place still in their grip.
It left a seven-point gap to third place after Aston Villa's automatic promotion hopes suffered with a surprise 3-1 defeat at home to Queens Park Rangers.
Wolves were on top from the outset and Doherty, who is still uncapped for the Republic, and had also been on target in Wolves 2-0 win against Reading in November, put them in front.More news: Stormy Daniels Seeks New Judge in Trump Lawsuit
They came back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 at Griffin Park and strengthen their grip on second spot.
A rare Jake Bidwell strike - his first in the league for QPR - secured a 2-0 lead that Luke Freeman stretched to three before James Chester's late consolation.
Sol Bamba, Callum Paterson and Kenneth Zahore scored for Neil Warnock's side after Neal Maupay had opened the scoring for Brentford.
"I fancied us to give a good account of ourselves and win the game and it's not happened".More news: Ronda Rousey on UFC return: 'WWE is what I enjoy right now'
Therefore, it's down to the players to get the fans onside quickly and a fast start could ensure the ground is bouncing again.
"All the boys are enjoying it, though".
Hull City picked up another big win at the bottom of the table, but Barnsley were held and Burton Albion lost on a dramatic evening at either end of the division.
Things are not looking quite so rosy for Barnsley, who remain outside the bottom three but only by three points after Norwich's Josh Murphy cancelled out another Oliver McBurnie goal in a 1-1 stalemate.More news: Virginia's DeAndre Hunter to Miss NCAA Tournament After Suffering Wrist Injury
The Tigers beat Ipswich 3-0 at Portman Road thanks to goals from Markus Henriksen, Harry Wilson and Jarrod Bowen.
- Vikings QB Case Keenum to sign with Broncos
- Google Assistant adds iPad support, joins Alexa and Cortana as Siri rivals
- Parliament stalemate continues, government, Opposition trade charges
- President Trump Wants To Create A 'Space Force' To Fight Space Wars
- Hampton Roads duo drives Radford to first ever NCAA tournament win
- Confidence building measures along Assam-Mizoram border
- Cousins Plans to Sign with Vikings Thursday
- Jets Working On A Deal With Teddy Bridgewater
- Muhammad Wilkerson to sign with Green Bay Packers
- Missing epidemiologist was not passed over for promotion — CDC chief