The Bluebirds have a tough week ahead with visits to Brentford and Derby County to negotiate, but they need just three points between the two games to ensure they head into the global break with second place still in their grip.
It left a seven-point gap to third place after Aston Villa's automatic promotion hopes suffered with a surprise 3-1 defeat at home to Queens Park Rangers.
Wolves were on top from the outset and Doherty, who is still uncapped for the Republic, and had also been on target in Wolves 2-0 win against Reading in November, put them in front.More news: Do Big Sean and Jhene Aiko Split Up Because of Nicole Scherzinger?
They came back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 at Griffin Park and strengthen their grip on second spot.
A rare Jake Bidwell strike - his first in the league for QPR - secured a 2-0 lead that Luke Freeman stretched to three before James Chester's late consolation.
Sol Bamba, Callum Paterson and Kenneth Zahore scored for Neil Warnock's side after Neal Maupay had opened the scoring for Brentford.
"I fancied us to give a good account of ourselves and win the game and it's not happened".More news: McLeish call-ups boost for Scotland youths, says Gemmill
Therefore, it's down to the players to get the fans onside quickly and a fast start could ensure the ground is bouncing again.
"All the boys are enjoying it, though".
Hull City picked up another big win at the bottom of the table, but Barnsley were held and Burton Albion lost on a dramatic evening at either end of the division.
Things are not looking quite so rosy for Barnsley, who remain outside the bottom three but only by three points after Norwich's Josh Murphy cancelled out another Oliver McBurnie goal in a 1-1 stalemate.More news: Confidence building measures along Assam-Mizoram border
The Tigers beat Ipswich 3-0 at Portman Road thanks to goals from Markus Henriksen, Harry Wilson and Jarrod Bowen.
- Stephanie Skipper on The Voice Tells Kelly Clarkson "Don't Apologize"
- Parliament stalemate continues, government, Opposition trade charges
- Georginio Wijnaldum and Jordan Henderson cleared for Manchester United trip
- Instagram and Snapchat Temporarily Remove GIFs in Stories
- Frustration among millennials as new railcard site crashes
- Toys R Us is going out of business, closing all stores
- President Trump Wants To Create A 'Space Force' To Fight Space Wars
- Barbershop study trims black men's hair, blood pressure
- Bournemouth face winger woes ahead of Tottenham clash
- Bangor University staff to remain on strike after pension deal rejected