The star's real name was Peter Bowen and he was an English stand-up comedian, best known for presenting darts-based gameshow Bullseye.
The programme, which obtained cult status among university students, saw Bowen spout his popular catchphrases "super, smashing, great" and "now look what you could have won".
He also scored a number of acting roles, appearing in "Jonathan Creek", "Phoenix Nights", "Muck And Brass", "Last Of The Summer Wine" and "The Wheeltappers And Shunters Social Club", as well as appearing on the ITV sketch show "You Must be Joking".
"He passed away very peacefully, she was with him".More news: Prudential to spin off M&G business
In one of his final interviews, Jim told the Express: "Bullseye made me a well-known face".
The comedian died this morning with his wife Phyllis by his side after several weeks in hospital.
'I didn't show them I was proud of them, though I think they knew, ' he once said. "He was a very lovely, genuine man". Great guy", while actor Will Mellor tweeted his own tribute, saying: "Sad news about Jim Bowen! "We are all shedding a tear", Pleus said.
"The Royal Lancaster Infirmary were wonderful, we couldn't have asked for better".More news: Probe corruption charges against Shami: CoA chairman
Mr Pleus added: "As with people getting on, Jim has had several strokes, one in 2011".
Talking about the love he has for his family, Jim admitted to the Mirror previous year: "I've had more than my share of good luck with a priceless marriage and family".
Fellow comedian and Radio Lancashire presenter Ted Robbins said he was a "very generous, kind man" who was "greatly loved" by the nation.
'You can't beat a bit of Bully!'More news: OPEC says US oil production to rise again in 2018
- Dem operatives fume after Hillary disses Trump voters
- Yellow weather warning issued for rain tonight
- FBI's McCabe Expected to Be Fired This Week
- Netflix hit The Crown paid its queen less than her prince
- Serena Williams: 'My room for improvement is incredible'
- Ben Carson knew about $31000 dining set despite statements to the contrary
- Power outages remain a problem after storm
- France Accuses Apple of Abusive Contracts, Will Sue Company
- Women's basketball: Auriemma plans no big changes
- Alicia Vikander leads the Tomb Raider reboot