The results are expected to be declared by Thursday afternoon, according to an Election Commission official.
AM: RJD candidate Krishna Mohan still leading in Jehanabad.More news: Iran invites Pakistan, China to join India in Chabahar port project
There were reports of police resorting to mild use of force outside the counting centre in Jehanabad as young RJD supporters indulged in boisterous jubilations over the news of their candidate Suday Yadav establishing an unassailable lead over former MLA and JD (U) nominee Abhiram Sharma.
Gorakhpur/Patna: Counting of votes for bypolls to three Lok Sabha seats - Phulpur and Gorakpur in Uttar Pradesh and Araria in Bihar - began at 8 am on Wednesday. Latest trends showed Sarfaraz Alam leading his BJP rival by 455 votes.
A total of 12 candidates are in contention at Jehanabad seat.More news: German parliament confirms Chancellor Angela Merkel for 4th term
AM: BJP leading after first round of counting in Araria Lok Sabha by-poll. The results for UP and Bihar Bye-Elections 2018 will be out today.
The contest is mainly between RJDs Sarafaraz Alam, Taslimuddin's son, and BJPs Pradip Singh, who had won the seat in 2009 and finished runners-up in 2014. In the Bhabua and Jehanabad Assembly constituencies in Bihar, where bypolls were also held, the voter turnout was 54.03 per cent and 50.06 per cent respectively, Bihar's Chief Electoral Officer Ajay V Nayak said.
In Bahbua, a seat that was held by the BJP's Anand Bhushan Pandey, his widow Rinki Rani Pandey is ahead of her rival Shambhu Patel of the Congress.More news: CNN's Tapper: Trump seems unable to fire people to their faces
Bihar, where votes are being counted for one Lok Sabha constituency and two Lok Sabha seats, seems headed for a status quo. According to the Election Commission, there are 1.96 million (19.61 lakh) voters in Phulpur parliamentary constituency, while the Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat has a 1.95 million (19.49 lakh) electorate. Gorakhpur is the parliamentary constituency and stronghold of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The seat was vacated by Keshav Prasad Maurya, who became the deputy CM of the state in 2017.
- Storylines You Can Expect to See During This Is Us Season 3
- Aamir Khan to join Instagram on his 53rd birthday
- Positive energy, genuine affection in Sonia's dinner: Rahul
- Broadcom to stay on deal path after Qualcomm halt, say analysts
- Trump considering Perry for veterans affairs secretary
- Palace still open to probe despite UN High Commissioner's remarks vs Duterte
- No, a Massive Geomagnetic Storm Will Not Hit Earth on March 18
- Google Plus Codes for Maps announced as digital location-based addressing system
- Arun Jaitley files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls from Uttar Pradesh
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro Goes On Sale Today