The feature debuted on the YouTube desktop client a year ago.
Our first hint of serious work towards a dark mode for YouTube landed last fall, when we saw signs of a dark theme for the app's video-playback panel. From there, you'll notice the background of the app darkens to a deep gray color. For months now we've been expecting a new dark mode to go live for YouTube, and while Google's not quite ready to push the button on dark-mode YouTube for Android, the feature is currently heading out to iOS users.
Dark mode has a few advantages.More news: AT&T-Time Warner Brand Feds' Case Against Deal 'Pale & Thin'
YouTube has announced that it's rolling out Dark Mode to its apps for iOS and Android devices. The company did not set a firm date for Android devices to get the new dark theme.
If you're a regular YouTube viewer, you've probably already heard of the platform's "Dark Mode" functionality.
Dark themes on mobile have become more popular in recent times with services like Twitter, Reddit and Telegram embracing the dark theme.More news: HBO is throwing everything into Game of Thrones spinoffs
According to YouTube, the request for a dark theme was one of the "top requested features on mobile".
With the update, YouTube joins a growing list of apps that feature a dark mode.More news: Crude oil futures markets await OPEC and IEA monthly reports
- Apple Announces WWDC 2018
- Lawmakers opposed to Trump's tariffs look to courts to step in
- Fitbit Hopes for 'Mass Appeal' with New $199 USD Versa Smartwatch
- Chicago Bears adding Eagles Super Bowl star TE Burton
- Trump's Personal Assistant Fired Over Security Issue
- Danny Amendola expected to sign with Dolphins
- Russian exile found dead in London in unexplained circumstances
- Mubadala Petroleum acquires 10% stake in Egypt's Shorouk Concession
- Wands at the ready! The newest Fantastic Beasts sequel trailer is here
- Google guru Page tests flying taxis in New Zealand