The feature debuted on the YouTube desktop client a year ago.
Our first hint of serious work towards a dark mode for YouTube landed last fall, when we saw signs of a dark theme for the app's video-playback panel. From there, you'll notice the background of the app darkens to a deep gray color. For months now we've been expecting a new dark mode to go live for YouTube, and while Google's not quite ready to push the button on dark-mode YouTube for Android, the feature is currently heading out to iOS users.
Dark mode has a few advantages.More news: CM Punk tries again at UFC 225
YouTube has announced that it's rolling out Dark Mode to its apps for iOS and Android devices. The company did not set a firm date for Android devices to get the new dark theme.
If you're a regular YouTube viewer, you've probably already heard of the platform's "Dark Mode" functionality.
Dark themes on mobile have become more popular in recent times with services like Twitter, Reddit and Telegram embracing the dark theme.More news: Wands at the ready! The newest Fantastic Beasts sequel trailer is here
According to YouTube, the request for a dark theme was one of the "top requested features on mobile".
With the update, YouTube joins a growing list of apps that feature a dark mode.More news: Hampton to play at Notre Dame in NIT opening round
- Texas high school students injured in Disney trip bus plunge
- Sam Bradford is returning to the NFC West
- Russian exile found dead in London in unexplained circumstances
- Lawmakers opposed to Trump's tariffs look to courts to step in
- Crude oil futures markets await OPEC and IEA monthly reports
- AT&T-Time Warner Brand Feds' Case Against Deal 'Pale & Thin'
- Danny Amendola expected to sign with Dolphins
- Apple Announces WWDC 2018
- PUBG Rolls Back Latest Anti-Cheat Update
- Retail job outlook positive