Filling positional holes on a team isn't sexy, but it has to be done.
Free agent Neil Walker and the Yankees agreed to a one-year contract worth about $5 million, giving NY a veteran infielder who figures to allow prospects Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andujar more time to mature in the minor leagues.
Even after acquiring Brandon Drury from the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Yankees will get Walker to a reported $5 million contract for one season.More news: Family files lawsuit over lost embryos at OH hospital
Walker isn't a star, but he's a solid second baseman with numbers that range from decent to great.
In 38 games for the Brewers, who were in the mix for a playoff spot, Walker hit.267 with four home runs and 13 RBI. He debuted in 2009, and was traded to the New York Mets after the 2015 season. But his most obvious fit was with the Mets.
He had been working out at the camp for free agents in Bradenton, Florida, organized by the players' association.More news: India, Pakistan accuse each other of harassing diplomatic staff
But the Yankees have won out here, most likely by simply offering Walker a major league contract.
Walker, 32, will give the Yankees a veteran at second base. That would mean touted prospects Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andujar probably would start the season in the minor leagues.
Wade, who has impressed in spring training, could remain on the Opening Day roster along with Torreyes as utilitymen.More news: Evoni Williams, Waffle House Worker Gets College Scholarship For Act Of Kindness
- MIT Researchers: 'Lies Spread Faster Than Truth'
- Tom Brady: 'Miracle' to win AFC Championship game without Rob Gronkowski
- Russia Defence Ministry releases video of hypersonic missile test
- Trump gearing up for re-election, not trade war with China
- Liverpool secured their place in UCL quarter final
- House Intel finds 'no evidence of collusion' between Trump campaign and Russian Federation
- January Nebraska jobless rate matches December 2.9 percent
- Teen killed, woman injured in Austin package bomb explosion
- #1 UVA beats #12 UNC; wins ACC Tourney title
- Explore More Assassin's Creed Origins with Curse of the Pharaohs