The Associated Press is reporting that the former world No.1 - who yesterday came up one shot short in his bid to win a first PGA Tour title since 2013 - will be named the American skipper for the 2019 Presidents Cup match.
The duo famously dueled at the 2003 event in South Africa in a playoff, tying for three holes before darkness intervened and the match was called, with both teams agreeing to share the cup.
The Presidents Cup, which began in 1994 and was patterned after the Ryder Cup to give worldwide players from outside Europe a chance to compete, has been one-sided since the start.
Woods has been named by Jim Furyk as a 2018 USA Ryder Cup vice-captain along with Stricker and Davis Love 111.More news: Calm before the storm? North Korea still mum on Trump summit
The Presidents Cup has found tremendous corporate support with Italian carmaker Alfa Romeo, Citibank and Rolex, but the matches lack a competitive balance.
Woods and Els are certain to inject some life into the matches, from their own relationship and history, and from the most intense moment in Presidents Cup history.
Els was the logical choice to be the next worldwide captain, following three stints by Nick Price. The Presidents Cup has been reduced to 30 matches over four days, and the format is not likely to change for the next one. It would give the underdog Internationals a better chance for their first victory since 1998.
The Presidents Cup-Ryder Cup captaincy crossover hasn't always been the norm (Fred Couples has captained three Presidents Cups but no Ryder Cups), but the template for worldwide golf has changed. "We never have the depth in our team, so we always struggle eight, nine, 10, 11, 12, sort of".More news: US House speaker urges Donald Trump to drop new tariffs plan
With Woods as the captain, has he given up any hope of making the team on his own merit?
The announcement comes as Woods surges into outright favouritism for this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational, on the back of a second place finish at the Valspar Championship on Sunday.
Woods will follow Fred Couples, Jay Haas and Steve Stricker as captain of the U.S. Presidents Cup team.
The Presidents Cup has not had a playing captain since Hale Irwin went 2-1 for the Americans in a 20-12 USA victory in 1994. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the captain selections have not been announced. Plus, he has a leadership mentality.More news: Budget session of Parliament: Stalemate on Day 6, protests continue
- Apple Maps Now Shows Bike Sharing Stations in Montreal, Toronto and Beyond
- Rad claims fourth gold medal for Ukraine at 2018 Winter Paralympics
- Trump's massive tariff announcement is twisting the political world in knots
- Drunk bride crashed vehicle en route to nuptials, cops say — WEDDING CRASHER
- Telford council: 'Bring child exploitation review forward'
- WOMEN'S NCAA: UConn, Irish, Louisville, Miss St top seeds
- After Ivan Rakitic, Philippe Coutinho supports Neymar's Barcelona return from PSG
- Bollywood Singer Aditya Narayan Arrested For Rash Driving
- Matt Le Tissier: Mauricio Pellegrino was too negative at Southampton
- Trump foresees 'tremendous success' in coming talks with N. Korea