The Chiefs only rolled over about $2.6 million in salary cap space from last season, so freeing up space to address their leaky defense - and perhaps help new quarterback Patrick Mahomes II with some offensive weapons - was of paramount importance for new general manager Brett Veach. "We think we have some good young players and feel comfortable with them". "He's built a tremendous legacy here in Kansas City, and we wish him the best as he moves forward".
Hali has played in 177 total games with the Chiefs dating back to his rookie season in 2006, when he was the team's first round pick. Yet that will be the reality moving forward with the news that the Chiefs have made a decision to release Hali, per Adam Schefter. Hali had two career interceptions, returning one for a TD and also tallied one safety. He leaves the Chiefs with 89.5 career sacks and 33 forced fumbles. He is one of only 15 players in team history to play in over 175 games with the Chiefs.More news: Thala Ajith and Boney Kapoor to join hands?
Hali dealt with knee issues last season and appeared in a career-low five games, recording one tackle.
The Chiefs released linebacker Derrick Johnson after 14 seasons earlier this offseason and agreed to trade cornerback Marcus Peters to the Los Angeles Rams at the end of February.More news: Jets now lead National Football League in cap space following Browns trades
Hali originally came to the United States after escaping from the war-torn African nation of Liberia when he was 10 years old.More news: Saudi Arabia not ready for Aramco IPO this year
- 'A harrowing five minutes': Dallas-bound flight makes emergency landing in Albuquerque
- Bills Trade Cordy Glenn to Bengals
- Spotify Enlists Its Users to Add Music Metadata
- LeBron James free agency: Cavs star impressed by young Lakers
- Apple adds Musical Comedy From Bob's Burgers Creator
- Met Opera sacks legendary conductor Levine after abuse probe
- Hearthstone kicks off the Year of the Raven with The Witchwood expansion
- Trump charges Ross with pushing European Union to lower tariffs, European Union demurs
- RS polls: 7 candidates throw hats into the ring for 6 seats
- PLANET ALPHA Is Coming To All Major Systems Thanks To Team17