Serena leads Venus 17-11 all-time and has won eight of their last nine meetings, most recently the Australian Open final past year. Maybe hers are all natural, or maybe she's already found the best brow enhancer and doesn't think she can make a better one (though that wouldn't really align with her competitive spirit). The triumph at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California, comes six months after childbirth.
But Serena says she did not watch a single point on the grounds she gets too nervous.
"I would prefer to play someone else, anybody else, literally anybody else, but it has to happen now and one of us will be going home", Serena said about the upcoming match.
And when Venus, accompanied by her father Richard, took her seat to watch her sister play Kim Clijsters in the final two days later, the atmosphere turned sour.More news: Saudi Arabia not ready for Aramco IPO this year
In 2001 they were slated to meet in the Indian Wells semi-finals when Venus withdrew, handing Serena a walkover.
In the men's section, Spanish veteran Fernando Verdasco used his powerful serve to upset third seed Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (4) 4-6 6-3 while Roger Federer's tournament debut was hampered by rain. Williams recently filed a trademark request for the name Aneres (the name of her clothing line and also Serena spelled backward) for a beauty brand with multiple product categories that could include skin care, fragrance, lipstick, eye shadow, mascara and makeup-removing products, among others. She has won both her matches in straight sets.
The crowd's treatment led to a 14-year boycott by the sisters, which Serena finally ended in 2015.
"That's, you know, totally gone out of my mind", Serena said Saturday. "First of all, 17 years ago seems like forever ago".More news: Ten People Face Drug-Related Charges
Serena, unseeded in the wake of her long layoff, admitted she would have preferred not to come up against her sister so soon in the draw.
"I still have a lot to give".
Venus' last defeat of her younger sister was at the Canadian Open in 2014, where she prevailed in a three-set semi-final.More news: Raiders release CB Sean Smith, RT Marshall Newhouse
- Governor Invites Trump To Visit California's Central Valley
- WWW inventor says the Web is "under threat"
- Ohio State Men's Basketball Headed Back To NCAA Tournament
- Google Pay now allow users to send money via Google Contacts
- LeBron James free agency: Cavs star impressed by young Lakers
- Tesla suspended Model 3 production in late February
- Kirk Cousins to make decision on new team this week
- Benue killings: Fayose lampoons Buhari's ignorance about IGP's disregard for his order
- Drew Brees, Saints taking contract talks down to the wire
- Hearthstone kicks off the Year of the Raven with The Witchwood expansion