A Wrinkle in Time stars Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, and Mindy Kaling; it's a female-driven movie.
This isn't the first time that DuVernay has distanced herself from a Disney franchise, with the director revealing that she passed on the opportunity to helm Marvel's Black Panther as "it really wasn't going to be an Ava DuVernay film". As a writer and director, she's known for powerhouse, emotional films like Selma - the biopic of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama - as well as 13th, a Netflix documentary that goes into America's prison system to show how racial inequality affects inmates.
"A Wrinkle in Time", a fantasy adventure that celebrates inclusion and accepting personal flaws, took in $33.1 million in its opening weekend - a letdown for a big-budget Disney film.More news: Google Pay now allow users to send money via Google Contacts
The United States is probably more divided now than it ever has been, so it's refreshing to see Ryan Coogler paying tribute to another director who is making groundbreaking art that spotlights what's going on in our culture. DuVernay created that series in 2016, two years before inclusion riders became part of the national conversation, as Coogler points out.
Ava is a pioneer.
Coogler has made no secret about seeking insight from his contemporaries, including help on the script for Black Panther from Donald Glover.More news: NASA's People's Assembly Suspended
DuVernay "makes the most distant dreams and ideas a reality" through her work in shows like "Queen Sugar", Coogler wrote.
He went on to discuss the early days of DuVernay's career as an admired Hollywood publicist, noting she'd written, produced, and directed "two incredible films, about black women finding hope while experiencing grief and loss, all while maintaining a production and distribution company to finance and distribute underserved independent films made by women and people of color".
"The main character in the film, Meg, uses her love, her hope and her kickass skills as a scientist to bring him back, and maybe she saves the universe along the way", he wrote to end the letter.More news: Andy Mitten: No issue between Pogba and Mourinho
- Saudi Arabia not ready for Aramco IPO this year
- Serena Williams Is Launching Her Own Cosmetics Company
- DGCA grounds 11 Airbus aircraft over IndiGo's mid-air engine failure
- 'Chilling': Virat Kohli shares picture of wife Anushka Sharma kissing him
- European Union extends Russian Federation sanctions for 6 more months for meddling in Ukraine
- Benue killings: Fayose lampoons Buhari's ignorance about IGP's disregard for his order
- So who is the worst Premier League manager ever, Jose?
- Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool will carry on paying big money in transfer market
- Ohio State Men's Basketball Headed Back To NCAA Tournament
- Hong Kong pro-democracy camp suffers election setback