"Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service!" he added.
Gina Haspel, the deputy director of the CIA, will replace Pompeo if confirmed by the Senate, becoming the first female director of that agency.More news: Apple Allowing Companies To Create Lightning To 3.5mm Cables
"I am grateful to President Trump for the opportunity, and humbled by his confidence in me, to be nominated to be the next Director of the Central Intelligence Agency", Haspel said in a statement.
Trump's tweet Tuesday came the day after Tillerson blamed Russian Federation for an assassination in London - something the White House had specifically declined to do just hours before. The secretary has generally been cut out of the loop on major foreign policy moves, like Trump's impulsive decision to meet with Kim Jong-un. In October, NBC reported that Tillerson called the president a "moron" following a meeting in July.
Trump's statement did not mention Tillerson, with whom he has been at odds on issues ranging from North Korea to steel and aluminum tariffs throughout the first 14 months of his administration.More news: Tata Sons said to raise $1.38 billion in upsized TCS offering
Trump publicly undercut Tillerson's diplomatic initiatives numerous times, including on Monday when the former secretary of state's comments about Russian Federation appeared to be at odds with those of the White House.
More on this as it develops.More news: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Featurette Brings The Crystal Foxes To Life
- 'American Idol': 5 Audition Highlights From the Premiere & More Thoughts
- Telford council: 'Bring child exploitation review forward'
- Newly-released DoD video purportedly shows Navy pilot's encounter with UFO
- Craig Mack Dead: Bad Boy Records Rapper Dies, Aged 46
- Matt Le Tissier: Mauricio Pellegrino was too negative at Southampton
- Woods, Els to be named Presidents Cup captains
- Paul Pogba Misses Man United Training Ahead of Sevilla Clash
- Bourdais Snatches Victory at IndyCar Opener in Dramatic Finish
- Where could Kim Jong-un meet Donald Trump?
- Kagiso Rabada given two-match ban after Steve Smith collision