(Lincoln) - Nebraska is among a pair of Big Ten Conference teams to earn a bid for the National Invitation Tournament.
Southern California, Notre Dame, Baylor and Saint Mary's are the No. 1 seeds for the NIT. Nebraska's one quality win this season came against the Wolverines, but MI came right back and smacked the Huskers in the mouth in NY a few weeks ago in the conference tournament. BSU, despite getting a bye, fell in its only conference tournament game, 78-75, to Utah State. View the full bracket here. Other teams in the NIT field that were overlooked by the bigger tournament include Louisville, Oklahoma State, Middle Tennessee and Oregon. The Bulldogs will host Abilene Christian on Monday. The improvement is the largest increase by any team in 2018 NCAA Tournament field and tied for the biggest jump in Division I with fellow Big Ten partner Rutgers. Baylor has the chance to host all the way to the quarterfinals. Nebraska most recently made the NCAA Tournament in 2015.
"We realized that playing and participating and actually putting the effort into doing what we need to do is the best decision", he said.More news: Top 10 NFL Free Agents On The Market
I was also vehemently opposed to Nebraska making the NCAA Tournament and I am glad they did not.
Interim athletic director Vince Tyra said on "The Deener Show" on WHBE-680 last week that Louisville accepted the NIT invitation before knowing if they would have a spot in the NCAA Tournament.
The Huskies earned its first 20-win season since 2011-12 finishing with at 20-12. The Huskers are just the second Big Ten team since 1985 to win 22 games and not make the NCAA Tournament.More news: NCAA Tournament: Florida State receives second straight berth
"I'm sure they did have conversations among themselves in the last however many days", Padgett said when asked about the vote. "Nebraska's had some fine wins in their league".
"The players spent a lot of time at their dorm". UW and OSU were 1-1 with both games being decided by three points or fewer.
Even changing one of Nebraska's close losses to Kansas, Creighton or Ohio State to a win wouldn't appear to do much more than improve the Huskers' NIT seeding. At 3 p.m., tickets will be available for the general public at www.HailState.com/Tickets, or calling the ticket office at 1-888-GO-DAWGS.More news: Experts Are Investigating A Cluster Of Lung-Related Deaths In Dentists
- Budget session of Parliament: Stalemate on Day 6, protests continue
- US House speaker urges Donald Trump to drop new tariffs plan
- 'Chilling': Virat Kohli shares picture of wife Anushka Sharma kissing him
- Hillary Clinton: United States "doesn't deserve Trump"
- Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool will carry on paying big money in transfer market
- Democrat holds slim lead on eve of PA-18 election, poll finds
- Helicopter Chartered For Photography Shoot Crashes In New York City
- ''Bookkeeper of Auschwitz'' Oskar Groening dies before starting sentence
- A Whippet named Tease wins best in show at Crufts
- Broadcom's proposed Qualcomm bid blocked on security grounds