Southern Africa Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes (SACCORD) Executive Director Boniface Cheembe says Africa is looking at how Zambia will reciprocate following the reconciliation between Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta and opposition leader Raila Odinga.
The People's Assembly steering committee chairman and NASA strategist David Ndii, said the decision was made to provide room to unify and get the country on the right course.
The People's Assembly was announced in the wake of presidential election in August, and a repeat vote in October, both won by Kenyatta and both dismissed by the opposition as fraudulent. "We are therefore in this spirit suspending the People's Assembly process", Ndii read out.More news: Iowa state senator Bill Dix caught kissing lobbyist in bar
In the election aftermath, about 150 people were killed and Mr Odinga subsequently swore himself in as the "people's president" and refused to recognise election victor, Mr Kenyatta, as head of state.
The National Super Alliance has suspended the People's Assembly process..
Organisers at the time said the People's Assembly was not meant to be a parallel government, but other statements said citizens would be able to use it to "exercise their sovereignty" until what they called "proper elections" were held.More news: LeBron James free agency: Cavs star impressed by young Lakers
Even though the meeting was planned last week, it has acquired some extra significance following Mr Odinga's Friday meeting with Mr Kenyatta.
Last Friday, President Kenyatta and Odinga surprised Kenyans including those close to them after their meeting at Harambee House where they resolved to set aside their political differences for the sake of national unity and urged Kenyans to move forward together as a united people.More news: Tamba Hali released by Kansas City Chiefs
- PLANET ALPHA Is Coming To All Major Systems Thanks To Team17
- Hong Kong pro-democracy camp suffers election setback
- Governor Invites Trump To Visit California's Central Valley
- Trump charges Ross with pushing European Union to lower tariffs, European Union demurs
- RS polls: 7 candidates throw hats into the ring for 6 seats
- Thala Ajith and Boney Kapoor to join hands?
- Drew Brees, Saints taking contract talks down to the wire
- DGCA grounds 11 Airbus aircraft over IndiGo's mid-air engine failure
- Spotify Enlists Its Users to Add Music Metadata
- Google Pay now allow users to send money via Google Contacts