― Reuters picLONDON, March 13 ― Southampton's refusal to sell defender Virgil van Dijk in the close season had disrupted their Premier League campaign which ultimately led to manager Mauricio Pellegrino being sacked, former club captain Matt Le Tissier has said.
"As far as the situation we are in at the moment, I think it makes sense to go with someone who has Premier League experience - who doesn't have to get to know a new set of players".More news: NCAA Tournament: Florida State receives second straight berth
Assistant manager Carlos Compagnucci and assistant first-team coach Xavier Tamarit have also left the club.
Pellegrino was appointed last summer to replace Claude Puel, who was adjudged to have performed poorly in his lone campaign in charge of Southampton, but the current Leicester boss ensured the Saints were never fearing relegation.
"The club will look to appoint a new management team as soon as possible", the club said in a brief statement, "with the search for a replacement already underway".
So they hired Pellegrino, and nine months on they must be regretting their decision.More news: Newly-released DoD video purportedly shows Navy pilot's encounter with UFO
Le Tissier, who played 443 league games for Southampton over a 17-year stint, added blame should not just lie at the door of the manager, and wants the next boss to bring fresh impetus to the under-performing players.More news: WOMEN'S NCAA: UConn, Irish, Louisville, Miss St top seeds
- Drunk bride crashed vehicle en route to nuptials, cops say — WEDDING CRASHER
- Helicopter Chartered For Photography Shoot Crashes In New York City
- Apple Maps Now Shows Bike Sharing Stations in Montreal, Toronto and Beyond
- Experts Are Investigating A Cluster Of Lung-Related Deaths In Dentists
- World stocks bask in U.S. jobs data glow
- Bills have 'some interest' in QB Sam Bradford — NFL free agency
- A Whippet named Tease wins best in show at Crufts
- Broadcom's proposed Qualcomm bid blocked on security grounds
- ''Bookkeeper of Auschwitz'' Oskar Groening dies before starting sentence
- Budget session of Parliament: Stalemate on Day 6, protests continue