Michael Carrick will retire from football at the end of the season, the Manchester United midfielder has revealed, and is likely to move into a coaching role at Old Trafford working under manager Jose Mourinho.
"There comes a time, wether you like it or you don't like it, that your body tells you it is time to stop playing football. I am trying to help a lot more because I understand where I am at".
Carrick underwent a routine procedure for an irregular heart rhythm this past fall, and thus hasn't been available most of the season. "You can't live like you've had a career before you've had the career - you've got to earn it". Signed for £18 million, he has played 463 times for the Mancunians and also represented England 38 times, named in the Three Lions' squad to both Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010 FIFA World Cup tournaments but did not play a single minute.More news: Matt Le Tissier: Mauricio Pellegrino was too negative at Southampton
"I had a problem in the Burton game it started in the second half, had a few tests and the same problem came back on the Sunday of that week". I had the procedure the following week.
"I need to keep myself fit and ready".More news: 'American Idol': 5 Audition Highlights From the Premiere & More Thoughts
'It took a little bit of time to get over but there were some times when, for two or three days, I was thinking "am I going to carry on playing or not?" or "is it kind of worth it or not?" but that quickly passed.
In winning the 2016 FA Cup, Carrick then completed his collection of every domestic honor in Britain.More news: Tata Sons said to raise $1.38 billion in upsized TCS offering
- Bourdais Snatches Victory at IndyCar Opener in Dramatic Finish
- Telford council: 'Bring child exploitation review forward'
- Salma Hayek And Frida Kahlo's Family Object Barbie Doll
- Paul Pogba Misses Man United Training Ahead of Sevilla Clash
- The Death Star No Longer, 'American Idol' Still Draws a Crowd
- Rain & Snow Early, Slowly Clearing Skies Tomorrow
- Apple Allowing Companies To Create Lightning To 3.5mm Cables
- Korea in focus as biggest Paralympics 2018 opens
- Bears expected to retain top 3 RFAs with $1.9M tenders
- LG is rolling out Android Oreo to V30 phones on Verizon