Despite the historic announcement Thursday that President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un plan to meet and discuss nuclear weapons, not everything is always rosy in North Korea's new détente with the outside world.
There were also light shows, as well as traditional South Korean performances and modern dance.
Ukrainian biathlete was first in men's 7.5 km for visually impaired athletes, Ukrinform reports.More news: Rain & Snow Early, Slowly Clearing Skies Tomorrow
About 30 Russian disabled athletes will compete under the NPA banner after the IPC continued its hard-line on the tainted Russian Paralympic Committee in the wake of the fall-out from Russia's state-orchestrated drug regime in Sochi four years ago.
North Korea asked that the Dokdo Islands, which Japan now claims and calls Takeshima, be included on the flag, according to BBC.More news: Bourdais Snatches Victory at IndyCar Opener in Dramatic Finish
The Athletes are racing to capture a spot on the podium in six qualifying sports- alpine skiing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, para ice hockey, snowboarding and wheelchair curling.
American Daniel Cnossen, a former US Navy Seal, took gold in the men's sit ski. The first event was held in Sweden.
South Korea is hosting the Games for the first time.
Snowboarder Mike Schultz, who has designed adaptive sports prosthetics that some of his teammates will be wearing in competition, has been named the US flag bearer for the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Paralympics.More news: Where could Kim Jong-un meet Donald Trump?
The Opening Ceremony begun with an artistic segment entitled Let's Move, which saw Myeongjin Shin, an amputee performer with a prosthetic arm and legs, beat on a giant drum. In a way, it also celebrates the courage and conviction of the differently-abled athletes to keep their flame of athletics going on.
- Bears expected to retain top 3 RFAs with $1.9M tenders
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Featurette Brings The Crystal Foxes To Life
- Apple Allowing Companies To Create Lightning To 3.5mm Cables
- Tata Sons said to raise $1.38 billion in upsized TCS offering
- Trump's massive tariff announcement is twisting the political world in knots
- The Death Star No Longer, 'American Idol' Still Draws a Crowd
- LG is rolling out Android Oreo to V30 phones on Verizon
- Rad claims fourth gold medal for Ukraine at 2018 Winter Paralympics
- Kagiso Rabada given two-match ban after Steve Smith collision
- 'American Idol': 5 Audition Highlights From the Premiere & More Thoughts