During a discussion of Pence on the daytime talk show last month, Behar said, "it's one thing to talk to Jesus".
"It's one thing to talk to Jesus, It's another thing when Jesus talks to you", Behar quipped at the time. On the reality show, the former White House aide told her fellow houseguests that Pence is an "extreme" Christian who believes that "Jesus tells him to say things".
She later said she was joking, but Pence said the remarks were "wrong" and it was later revealed by Disney CEO Bob Iger that she telephoned Pence to express contrition for her comments. "That's part of my faith experience.' But I did encourage her and I'm still encouraging her, to use the forum of that program or some other public forum, to apologize to tens of millions of Americans who were equally offended". ABC insiders said executives initially wanted to keep the call between Behar and Pence, but Iger mentioned it while defending his company. But Vice President Mike Pence couldn't handle the joke.More news: Korea in focus as biggest Paralympics 2018 opens
"I just think it demonstrates how out-of-touch some in the mainstream media are with the faith and values of the American people", he said. "She picked up the phone".
Pence did not appreciate Behar's remark, and used an on-stage interview with Axios a day later to criticize Behar for what he called a religious "insult".
"What do you say to the tens of millions of Christians, and President Trump supporters, that your networks have so blatantly offended and ascribed hateful labels?" He said at a meeting with investors, "Joy Behar apologized to Vice President Pence directly".More news: Kagiso Rabada given two-match ban after Steve Smith collision
Iger answered him by saying, "I don't know where I start".
The right-wing Media Research Center launched an effort to hold "The View" accountable for promoting "anti-Christian bigotry", according to an open letter to ABC News from the group's president, Brent Bozell.
As of Thursday, Behar had not publicly apologized to Pence on "The View". He added that he was glad she apologized and that he "takes exception" to the comments.More news: Potential trade war threatens global economic growth, OECD warns
- Paul Pogba Misses Man United Training Ahead of Sevilla Clash
- HBO orders Nicole Kidman limited series The Undoing
- SBI slashes non-maintenance charges of minimum balance by 75 per cent
- Secretary Of State Rex Tillerson Fired, Replaced By CIA Director Mike Pompeo
- Man United midfielder Carrick announces summer retirement
- Tata Sons said to raise $1.38 billion in upsized TCS offering
- Go-Ahead Group (GOG) Rating Reiterated by Canaccord Genuity
- Craig Mack Dead: Bad Boy Records Rapper Dies, Aged 46
- Aadhaar Linking Deadline Extended: 5 Developments So Far
- Cholesterol drug significantly reduced patients' risk of death in trial