I heard the worst manager in the history of the Premier League, Frank de Boer - seven games, seven defeats, zero goals - saying that it was bad for Rashford to be managed by me because he would never play.
"'It's a pity that his manager is Mourinho because you want to give him time and he can make mistakes".
De Boer, though, suggested after the game that Rashford would be better off playing under a manager other than Mourinho. He wants to get results.More news: Telford council: 'Bring child exploitation review forward'
Rashford was the star of the show in the Red Devils' blockbuster encounter with bitter rivals Liverpool, finding the back of the net with two magnificent finishes - the first of which has drawn several comparisons to Cristiano Ronaldo.
Mourinho was referencing De Boer's stint with Crystal Palace at the start of the season in which he took charge of seven PL games winning none, losing all and scoring no goals in the process. "I would say he was in the top five with more matches for two seasons", Mourinho said. Of course, with Marcus, I have to be honest and give the credit to the people in the academy who were responsible for his formation; I have to leave credit to Louis van Gaal, who was responsible for his first season in the first team. "He's very young. He needs games, he's so talented - you want to see this player every week".
Mourinho continued to play down expectations by maintaining that his team are not among the Champions League favourites, and disputed that going out tonight would be a disaster.More news: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Featurette Brings The Crystal Foxes To Life
'I try to give the best to the kid.
"A disaster?" he said."We won 2-1 against Liverpool and there were some who said it was a disaster". We have a game on Tuesday and I can imagine, if we lose against Sevilla, everybody will forget what we did in the past couple of weeks. "I don't think we're among the five candidates to win the competition".
"I'm not upset with the fans about Rashford", Mourinho said after the match.More news: Woods, Els to be named Presidents Cup captains
Paul Pogba remains a doubt with a leg injury picked up in training last week.
- Korea in focus as biggest Paralympics 2018 opens
- Potential trade war threatens global economic growth, OECD warns
- Cholesterol drug significantly reduced patients' risk of death in trial
- Bears expected to retain top 3 RFAs with $1.9M tenders
- Bourdais Snatches Victory at IndyCar Opener in Dramatic Finish
- PA blames Hamas after explosion targets Palestinian PM entering Gaza
- Paul Pogba Misses Man United Training Ahead of Sevilla Clash
- United States detecting some Taliban interest in Afghan peace talks - Mattis
- The Death Star No Longer, 'American Idol' Still Draws a Crowd
- 'American Idol': 5 Audition Highlights From the Premiere & More Thoughts