And in case you haven't been paying attention to the way the NCAA has been dealing with Notre Dame lately, they weren't going to do Notre Dame any favors. To make matters worse, Rhode Island lost in the A-10 tournament championship, which gave an automatic bid to a Davidson team that was not otherwise being considered and made one less at-large bid available, which Rhode Island received. "We are excited about the tournament and we think it will be as competitive a field as we've ever had".
Among the biggest snubs from the NCAA Tournament field, Southern California, Notre Dame, Baylor and Saint Mary's will be the No. 1 seeds for the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) that will get underway Tuesday.
Irish senior forward Bonzie Colson shoots a jump shot during Notre Dame's 73-56 win over Pittsburgh on Wednesday at Purcell Pavilion. I have prepared them for the NIT the last month, [so] we've been very realistic about how this could go.More news: Texas high school students injured in Disney trip bus plunge
"I am absolutely thrilled that we played our way into the field, given where we were in January and early February".
"Our guys, after a season of gut punches, that was another gut punch today", Coach Mike Brey said. The consensus is that without Colson they are a solid team, but of the three wins they earned since Colson returned, only one of them came against a team with a winning record. Top guard Matt Farrell missed five ACC games because of an ankle injury.
The Fighting Irish's RPI of 33 was the third highest of teams that were left out, behind Saint Mary's (26) and Louisville (30). "I know we beat (the Orange) on their floor". The victor faces either No. 4 Penn State or No. 5 Temple in the second round. The semifinal and championship games will be played at New York's historic Madison Square Garden for the 81st year.More news: Sevilla the most important game of the season: Matic
Notre Dame, making its 13th appearance in the NIT, will play Hampton in the first round. They really weren't interested, it was really a tough end to a season.
As a junior, when he was the only ACC player to average a double-double, Colson was named to the Associated Press All-American Third Team, All-ACC First Team, ACC All-Tournament First Team and was a finalist for the Karl Malone and Wooden Awards.More news: Go-Ahead Group (GOG) Rating Reiterated by Canaccord Genuity
- Bears expected to retain top 3 RFAs with $1.9M tenders
- Mourinho brutally honest over Man Utd's Champions League chances
- Two in hospital after suspicious package at Muslim MP office
- Sammy Watkins to sign three-year deal with Chiefs
- AT&T-Time Warner Brand Feds' Case Against Deal 'Pale & Thin'
- REXIT: Trump Bumps Pompeo Up To State, Picks New CIA Director
- Jose Mourinho SLAUGHTERS Frank de Boer after Marcus Rashford criticism
- Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (NASDAQ:DKS) To Release Earnings
- Trump's Personal Assistant Fired Over Security Issue
- Spring Statement: OBR revises up GDP; Inflation to fall to 2%