The ball appeared to clearly be in Williams' court as the Bills expressed a desire to re-sign the five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle as recently as the National Football League combine earlier this month.
But the run defense was ugly last season - they allowed a league-worst 18 rush TDs and a whopping 1,487 rush yards - after the team dealt away Marcell Dareus to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 8.More news: Apple Allowing Companies To Create Lightning To 3.5mm Cables
Williams showed no signs of slowing down last season making 16 starts while contributing 41 tackles and finishing second on the team in sacks.
Lotulelei played under Bills coach Sean McDermott from 2013 through 2016 when McDermott was the Panthers' defensive coordinator.
Buffalo's defensive front seven has numerous needs with starting linebackers Preston Brown and Ramon Humber eligible to become free agents.More news: Tata Sons said to raise $1.38 billion in upsized TCS offering
Lotulelei was a five-year starter with Carolina after being selected by the Panthers in the first round of the 2013 draft. The Bills finished 26th in yards allowed and gave up 140 or more yards rushing eight times, including a 10-3 loss to Jacksonville in the AFC wild-card playoff game.
In five seasons, Lotulelei hasn't qualified for one Pro Bowl and has tallied just 11.5 sacks. Lotulelei will immediately fill that void for Buffalo. The Bills have two picks in each of the first three rounds, including the 22nd selection.More news: HBO orders Nicole Kidman limited series The Undoing
- Aadhaar Linking Deadline Extended: 5 Developments So Far
- Craig Mack Dead: Bad Boy Records Rapper Dies, Aged 46
- Korea in focus as biggest Paralympics 2018 opens
- Sammy Watkins to sign three-year deal with Chiefs
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's Production Company Will Adopt "Inclusion Riders"
- Joy Behar finally apologizes for mocking Christians
- Paul Pogba Misses Man United Training Ahead of Sevilla Clash
- REXIT: Trump Bumps Pompeo Up To State, Picks New CIA Director
- Cholesterol drug significantly reduced patients' risk of death in trial
- Bourdais Snatches Victory at IndyCar Opener in Dramatic Finish