While third-party dongles are available, the good news is that if you'd rather not pay for something unofficial, Apple has extended its MFi program where it will now cover third-party Lightning to 3.5mm cables, assuming that the manufacturers are able to meet the specifications laid out by Apple.
For any of you that doesn't know what MFi certified is, it is a manufacturing certification given to Apple's external accessories manufactures to indicate that the product has met Apple's performance and quality standards.More news: Experts Are Investigating A Cluster Of Lung-Related Deaths In Dentists
Apple's documentation for the new specs lists battery packs and speakers as products that could benefit from using a USB-C receptacle.
As is often the case with Apple, there are still unfortunate limitations: USB-C ports can't be used for pass-through charging or syncing iPhones or iPads; so don't expect a USB-C charging case to come to one of Apple's devices in the future.More news: PA blames Hamas after explosion targets Palestinian PM entering Gaza
The Verge points out Apple still is not letting third-party manufacturers create lightning to USB-C cables, only the tech giant can build those. That is one of the reasons Apple has added specs for other non proprietary connectors in the past such as the Ultra Accessory Connector for headphone makers a year ago. That allows users to charge MFi accessories with a USB-C cable and or power adapter they might already have, for example, and also draw power from the USB port on a Mac using the same cable.
Though, adding a 3.5mm to Lightning, it's a useful addition for older headphones with removable cables or speakers with 3.5mm aux inputs.More news: Broadcom's proposed Qualcomm bid blocked on security grounds
- Man attacks SUV with sledgehammer as driver tries to flee crash
- Where could Kim Jong-un meet Donald Trump?
- Rain & Snow Early, Slowly Clearing Skies Tomorrow
- Woods, Els to be named Presidents Cup captains
- Trump foresees 'tremendous success' in coming talks with N. Korea
- Salma Hayek And Frida Kahlo's Family Object Barbie Doll
- A Whippet named Tease wins best in show at Crufts
- GameMaker Studio 2 adds Nintendo Switch support
- Bills have 'some interest' in QB Sam Bradford — NFL free agency
- United States detecting some Taliban interest in Afghan peace talks - Mattis