After the landing, the passengers were put on another aircraft to Dallas that arrived safely.
Apparently an electrical fire filled the cabin with smoke forcing Southwest Airlines 3562 to land.
"Our people in Albuquerque worked to get customers onboard another aircraft to continue their journey to Dallas", officials said in a statement.More news: Governor Invites Trump To Visit California's Central Valley
Emergency services including the Albuquerque Fire Department, the Kirtland Air Force Fire Department and paramedics waited on the Albuquerque International Sunport runway as the plane landed.
A Sunday evening flight to Dallas took a risky turn for some Southwest Airline passengers.
The extent of their injuries was not immediately known.More news: Apple adds Musical Comedy From Bob's Burgers Creator
Southwest told CBS News in a statement that, "The Captain declared an emergency to receive priority handling from air traffic controllers after deviating from the filed flight plan".
A Dallas police officer on the flight praised the actions of the crew in a tweet. Eric was a passenger on the aircraft that had to make an emergency diversion to Albuquerque.
According to Southwest Airlines, five customers requested medical attention.More news: ELN Says Ready to Resume Peace Talks with Colombian Gov't
Southwest Airlines said the diverted aircraft remains in Albuquerque while mechanics inspect the plane. In this photo, a Southwest Airlines jet passes two ATA Airlines jets sitting on the tarmac at Midway Airport in Chicago, Illinois, April 3, 2008.
- Saudi Arabia not ready for Aramco IPO this year
- Jets now top National Football League in cap Space
- Djokovic beaten by world number 109
- Met Opera sacks legendary conductor Levine after abuse probe
- Trump reiterates call for death penalty for drug dealers
- Ten People Face Drug-Related Charges
- DGCA grounds 11 Airbus aircraft over IndiGo's mid-air engine failure
- Ohio State Men's Basketball Headed Back To NCAA Tournament
- Andy Mitten: No issue between Pogba and Mourinho
- Drew Brees, Saints taking contract talks down to the wire