FMCG, IT, Teck, oil & gas, metal, capital goods, bankex and auto counters saw heavy buying activity ahead of key IIP and inflation numbers, to be released after market hours today. The S&P 500 Index rose on Friday and the Nasdaq Composite Index soared to a fresh record high after U.S. non-farm payrolls data topped forecasts.
Equity markets on Monday turned encouragingly buoyant as Sensex posted its biggest gain in intra-day trade since March 2016.
The Nifty Private Bank index was trading 0.91 per cent up at 13,892 around 10:10 am (IST).More news: Trump pushing gun reform proposals that include age limit increase on purchases
Bharti Airtel rallied 5.2 percent on fund raising reports.
"Firm global cues and expectation of ease in domestic inflation to 4.74% excited investors to utilise the bargain opportunity".
Market participants will keep a close eye on domestic macro-economic data releases.
Asian and European markets extended their last weekend's rally after a positive USA jobs report that showed the American economy continued to strengthen without the prior month's rapid wage gains. Shanghai Composite gained 0.59 per cent, Singapore up 0.97 per cent, Hong Kong's Hang Seng edged higher 1.93 per cent and Japan Nikkei up 1.65 per cent.More news: Japan ministry admits doctoring documents linked to PM's wife
However, the BSE market breadth was bearish with 1,384 declines and 1,281 advances.
However, shares of Karnataka Bank (down 0.39 per cent) and South Indian Bank (down 0.20 per cent) were slightly down around that time.
All the sector indices that the BSE compiles ended higher, led by the S&P BSE Telecom index, which gained 2.57%.More news: Kawhi Leonard: Could return vs. Pelicans
- MSU earns 3 seed in Midwest Region of NCAA Tournament
- Renee Baio reveals she was diagnosed with a brain disease
- Church of Scientology to launch TV network
- Warren Gatland celebrates 'a job done' as Wales conquer Italy
- Raid on Iran's Diplomatic Residence in Vienna: Attacker Shot Dead
- Michy Batshuayi Rescues Borussia Dortmund Following Marco Reus Contract Boost
- Scam and stealing offences, Brisbane and Gold Coast
- Utica mother charged after baby found in street
- Fiorentina pay tribute to Davide Astori during win over Benevento
- Childcare worker jailed after drugging kids to 'go tanning'