The chief executive of Goldman Sachs has said reading a report forecasting his imminent retirement plans was like hearing his own eulogy - indicating the bank's boss is staying put for the near future.
Schwartz and Solomon were not quoted in the announcement.
Schwartz spent 20 years at Goldman, working in a number of operations including running the firm's trading arm, and a four-year stint as chief financial officer. He was seen as a possible successor for Goldman's current chairman and CEO, Lloyd Blankfein. Solomon and Schwartz, the bank's co-chief operating officers, were in an internal competition for the top job.More news: California Special Mustang drops just in time for spring break
Blankfein himself made a cryptic reference to the news on Twitter, saying it's "WSJ's announcement...not mine".
By contrast, Solomon has an investment banking background.
Blankfein, 63, one of the longest-serving CEOs on Wall Street, has led what is viewed as the most powerful US investment bank for almost 12 years.
"I look forward to continuing to work closely with David in building our franchise around the world, serving our expanding client base and delivering strong returns for our shareholders", Blankfein said in a statement.More news: Hubert de Givenchy's net worth: The fashion designer leaves behind a fortune
Schwartz, 54, was the firm's chief financial officer after helping to run its trading business.
Solomon doesn't sound like your typical bank CEO. Solomon, 56, a former investment banker, has been boosted by the strength in that business, where Goldman Sachs posted record revenue in 2017.More news: Stokes to stand trial during India series
- Beyonce announces OTR II joint tour with husband Jay-Z
- Google's Android Wear Smartwatch OS Could Receive 'Wear OS' Rebrand
- Oprah's advice to anyone who is running for President
- First ever MacBook Air with Retina Display leaks alongside affordable MacBook
- Counter-terrorism officers investigate 'punish a Muslim day' letters
- Google Doodle honours chemist who accidentally discovered synthetic dye
- Les Bleus! England's Six Nations dreams shattered in Paris
- Trump orders stiff trade tariffs, unswayed by grim warnings
- Arms imports to Middle East jump 103 percent in 5 years
- PSG supremo to meet Neymar as star reveals Barcelona want him back