British comedian Ken Dodd, well-known to the country's television audiences for his spiky hair, buck teeth and "tickling stick", has died aged 90, his publicist said on Monday.
He had left hospital on February 27 after a six-week stay for a chest infection.
He passed away peacefully at his home in Liverpool just 48 hours after he married his partner of 40 years, Anne Jones.
“We'll miss you Doddy”: Skegness pays tribute to comedy legend Sir Ken Dodd who has died aged 90
The comedian, famous for his stand-up shows, as well as his Diddy Men and tickling stick, died at the home where he was born in the Liverpool suburb of Knotty Ash. "He was a comedy legend and genius", he said.
His publicist Robert Holmes told the Press Association: "To my mind, he was one of the last music hall greats".
The veteran entertainer was hailed as a "legend and an inspiration" and "one of the all-time greats", with tributes from stars including David Walliams, Carol Vorderman and Dawn French. It's absolutely awesome. With Ken gone, the lights have been turned out in the world of variety.More news: Fiorentina pay tribute to Davide Astori during win over Benevento
"He was an education to watch and, afterwards, at 1.30am, he had beers with me in the dressing room and talked showbiz".
Paul Chan, known for playing Mr Wu in comedy series Benidorm, wrote about a chance encounter his mother had had with Sir Ken several decades ago.
Dodd continued to perform right through to his later years, bringing the energy and stamina of a man half his age to his manic routines.More news: Raid on Iran's Diplomatic Residence in Vienna: Attacker Shot Dead
The veteran comic was knighted in honour of his decades-long showbiz career and charity work in March previous year.
The now Holby City star tweeted: "Sad to hear the news of Ken Dodd this morning. Anne is obviously very upset".
Born in Knotty Ash, Liverpool, Lancashire, on November 8 1927, it was around the age of 14 he began to discover a love of entertaining after seeing an advertisement in a comic book which read: 'Fool your teachers, amaze your friends-send 6d in stamps and become a ventriloquist!'.More news: US officials say no added conditions for North Korea talks
Holmes said: "He's not been well this year".
- Tim McGraw collapses during Ireland concert, reports say
- Forecast: Rain develops tonight; a chance for snow late Monday
- OnePlus 5/5T to get Android 8.1 update soon
- Utica mother charged after baby found in street
- Michy Batshuayi Rescues Borussia Dortmund Following Marco Reus Contract Boost
- Church of Scientology to launch TV network
- Cowboys miss NCAA Tournament, will host NIT game
- Phil Spencer Wants Xbox/PlayStation Cross Platform Play in Fortnite
- Scam and stealing offences, Brisbane and Gold Coast
- Trump pushing gun reform proposals that include age limit increase on purchases