"We are committed to quality journalism from trusted sources and allowing magazines to keep producing beautifully designed and engaging stories for users", said Apple's Eddy Cue, announcing the acquisition. The Cupertino, California, company aims to top $50 billion in annual services revenue by 2021, and a magazine subscription service would likely contribute to that.
The service, which launched under the name Next Issue in 2010, allows subscribers to read dozens of magazines on their tablet for one monthly price, typically $9.99 in most markets.More news: Hubert de Givenchy's net worth: The fashion designer leaves behind a fortune
"I've gotten lots of email that says our Apple News is too far left and lots of emails that say Apple News is too far right". Texture will continue to offer iOS, Android, Amazon Kindle Fire, and Windows 10 apps.More news: Nokia 9 may sport in-display fingerprint sensor, iPhone-like notch
Cue said that Apple's historical pattern has not been to buy up big companies, like Netflix and Disney, in response to a question about those media giants as potential acquisition targets, per Cheddar's Alex Heath on Twitter. Individual subscriptions to publications like The Washington Post are now available inside News, but this acquisition creates the potential for an official Apple service, similar to Apple Music, that bundles together the various magazine articles included in Texture.
You can download Texture from the App Store for free. When asked about Apple's plans for AR beyond the iPhone, Cue suggested hat his job security depended on not talking about future products - apparently the video service doesn't count - so he wouldn't answer questions about them.More news: Trump Team Weighs Trying to Block 60 Minutes Stormy Interview
- Microsoft's Xbox One spring update loaded with new features
- Man Arrested in 1986 Massachusetts Murder of a Teenager
- California Special Mustang drops just in time for spring break
- Royal wedding: Meghan Markle could get Prince William to give her away
- Goldman CEO Blankfein says report of stepping-down not from him
- Deadly package explosion at Austin, Texas home
- Tom Brady: 'Miracle' to win AFC Championship game without Rob Gronkowski
- Karti Chidambaram Sent to Jail
- Les Bleus! England's Six Nations dreams shattered in Paris
- Cardinals expected to release Adrian Peterson Monday