It's been just 26 days since Black Panther was unleashed on American theaters, but on Saturday, the film officially shattered a massive box-office record.More news: Pardew's future bleak after 7th straight loss
The film has made $521 million domestically, becoming the No. 2 superhero release of all time, surpassing "The Dark Knight". It received vast praise from the Chinese audience and collected over $22 million on its opening day there.
Black Panther was the number one film in the USA for the second weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $108 million at the box office. Holding the first and second place spots are Avatar ($50.3 million) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($42.4 million). One of the favorite pastimes at Marvel Studios is sitting around on a part one and talking and dreaming about what we would do in a part two.More news: Ryan Coogler pens tribute to 'one of his heroes' Ava DuVernay
The first blockbuster with a black superhero in the leading role, "Black Panther" has become a symbol for promoting diversity in the movie industry. "We have ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one".
"One by one, these unwritten Hollywood rules about what audiences supposedly will and will not support are falling by the wayside", senior entertainment research analyst Jeff Bock told the New York Times in mid-February.More news: Meghan Markle's former 'Suits' co-stars will be invited to her wedding
The film - unprecedented in being a big-budget studio tentpole featuring a virtually all-black cast - stars Chadwick Boseman stars as T'Challa/Black Panther alongside Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker and Andy Serkis.
- EU's Moscovici: Europe has 'arsenal of weapons' to respond to Trump's tariffs
- Protesters held after scaling Iran embassy in London
- EXTREME UNIVERSE: Rob Liefeld's Comic Book Characters Land Netflix Film Deals
- Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu gets Civil Aviation as additional portfolio
- Statement by Minister Joly on International Women's Day
- INX Media case: Karti in CBI custody for 3 more days
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) Rises 1.281% for Mar 9
- Lavrov and Tillerson to not meet in Ethiopia
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un to meet: what happens next?
- Everton wear down Brighton to ease the pressure on Sam Allardyce