Then, the team compared the results from the lifetime exercisers to 75 healthy people between ages 57 and 88, as well as 55 young adults between ages 20 and 36.
The researchers set out to assess the health of older adults who had exercised most of their adult lives to see if this could slow down ageing.
The key to the fountain of youth is exercise, scientists concluded, in a study that found amateur cyclists over the age of 55 had biological markers similar to those of young and healthy individuals. Male cyclists were able to complete 62 miles in less than 6.5 hours while females had to log 37 miles in 5.5 hours.More news: Centaurus Financial Inc. Purchases Shares of 9037 Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
They have half the body fat of men their age who do not cycle, at 20 per cent rather than 30 per cent fat.
Professor Janet Lord, Director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing at the University of Birmingham, said: 'Hippocrates in 400 BC said that exercise is man's best medicine, but his message has been lost over time and we are an increasingly sedentary society. What was an important takeaway from this study she explained, was that ageing does not automatically make humans frail, lack of exercise on the other hand is associated with the problems of ageing.
Studies in the past have also proven that cycling has remarkable health benefits.
All the more shockingly, the counter aging impacts of cycling seemed to reach out to the immune system.More news: Rusty Williams delighted with victory on comeback
According to Dr Niharika Arora Duggal from the team, the "third age of man" need not be something to be "endured" but may be "enjoyed". He said the bodies of these participants were ageing optimally and are generally free of the problems that are caused due to lack of activity.
"Remove the activity and their health would likely deteriorate".
"We exercise mainly to enjoy ourselves".
Better still, a British study found, their immune systems are stronger, which makes them less vulnerable to seasonal infections such as flu, norovirus and pneumonia. Almost everybody can partake in an exercise that is in keeping with their own physiological capabilities. "You will reap the rewards in later life by enjoying an independent and productive old age".More news: October First Look: Varun Dhawan's wandering eyes have us and HOW!
The latest study was published Thursday in the journal Aging Cell and built on a previous work by the researchers published in 2015. "Properties of the vastus lateralis muscle in relation to age and physiological function in master cyclists aged 55 - 79 years".
- Judge rejects injunction, Ontario PC leader will be announced Saturday
- Salah Named EPL Player Of The Month
- Save an additional 20 percent off everything on eBay today only
- Oklahoma Education Association holds press conference, announces demand for $10000 teacher raise
- Emery: PSG will one day win the Champions League
- Secretary of state unveils direct rule budget for Northern Ireland
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to visit Douglas High School
- Aaron Judge thinks he's 'one and done' with Home Run Derby
- Israeli Scientists Discover that Jupiter's Stripes Are Thicker than Previously Thought
- Anthony Davis Won't Play vs. Wizards After Ankle Injury Diagnosed as Sprain