Norway's Ragnhild Mowinckel secured a first International Ski Federation (FIS) Alpine World Cup title at a women's giant slalom event in Ofterschwang today as Mikaela Shiffrin guaranteed herself a second successive overall crown. She leads Switzerland's Wendy Holdener by more than 500 points in the overall standings.
She was a clear favorite to successfully defend her maiden overall title since setting a World Cup record by winning the first five races of 2018. She had the fourth-fastest time after her opening run and improved to third after her second.
After a tense build-up to the Olympics, the American won her second straight overall World Cup title on Friday, five races before the end of the season.More news: After all that, ex-Trump aide arrives for grand jury
With a finish of 10th or better Saturday, Shiffrin will clinch the World Cup slalom season title, as well. "It's hard to explain that feeling really", Shiffrin said, according to the Associated Press.
"After a year ago when I won the overall, some people were saying it was sort of fake 'because the other girls weren't there and there was nobody to challenge her'". She also won a gold in the GS to go with her gold in slalom from the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
Shiffrin is the second American female skier to win multiple overall titles. "But nothing is impossible, so I am going to stay focused".More news: ITV confirms Who Wants to Be a Millionaire reprisal
Olympic gold and silver medalist Mikaela Shiffrin shows off her medals after her press conference at the Main Press Center.
Shiffrin has enjoyed a dominant season, topping the World Cup podium 11 times.
Shiffrin finished a further 0.08 seconds behind in third place. Rebensburg leads the overall giant slalom standings by 92 points over Tessa Worley of France.More news: Travel warning issued for Americans in Mexico
In Kvitfjell, Norway, Olympians Bryce Bennett and Andrew Weibrecht are among the USA men competing in the downhill on Saturday, followed by super-G on Sunday.
- ESPN's Sean McDonough will return to calling college football games, per report
- Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO), United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)
- Buhari to attend Ghana's independence anniversary
- Mississippi State's Nick Weatherspoon stretchered off after face is stepped on
- Ferrari fastest, Mercedes churns out miles as F1 tests end
- New bill proposes to legalize sports betting in NY
- Study says bones from Pacific island likely those of Amelia Earhart
- Nintendo Direct Airs Tomorrow; Showcases New Nintendo Releases
- Jeff Flake threatens bill to nullify Trump's tariffs
- Raptors snap Rockets' win streak at 17 games