The total of confirmed deaths from pneumonia and flu in MA during the fifth through seventh week of flu season is around 365. The CDC found 8% resistance among H1N1 influenza A virus strains against oseltamivir, but the more severe H3N2 strains showed no resistance against the popular drug. However, the agency says 26 of those deaths occurred in previous weeks.
"This year's vaccine is about 30 percent effective", Buckman said.
"In terms of the level of severity, we are still within range of what's normal, but we are at the high end of that range", said Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical health officer for Nova Scotia.
"While the numbers of hospital and outpatient visits attributed to the flu have decreased over the last several weeks, we still have several more weeks to go in this flu season", Public Health Commissioner Raul Pino said.More news: Premier League Trio Prepared To Make Move For Watford Midfielder
In the past week, 34 more people died from the flu, bringing the total number in SC this season to 201.
The strain that was predominant early this flu season, H3N2, is harder to inoculate for as it mutates more quickly than the other strains.
Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and Southeastern Regional Hospital restricted visitors in late January because of the flu.
Flu is a contagious, viral illness that causes mild to severe symptoms that can sometimes lead to death.More news: ASUS 'Strix GL702ZC' Gaming Laptop Launched in India at Rs 1,35000
The number of laboratory-confirmed cases of flu now stands at 16,986 as of the state's March 9 report, an increase of 1,215 from the year-to-date figure for the week ending March 2. In particular, H7N9, seen primarily in China but not in the USA, is most resistant, he said. There are likely more flu-associated deaths across the state, Mask said.
"Another case a wife nearly went mad because she was suffering from flu, couldn't move and next to her was her dead husband".
Young children and the elderly are especially at risk of becoming ill, and it is still not too late to get a flu shot to protect against sickness.
Get a flu vaccine.More news: RJD asks Nitish Kumar to revive Bihar's special status demand
Those anxious about the flu or feel that might be at risk, should speak with their doctor about getting the flu shot or other preventative measures. So, you know the deal - wash your hands, cover your cough (preferably not with your hand), and stay home if you're sick.
- TMC to back Congress candidate Abhishek Manu Singhvi in Rajya Sabha polls
- USA offers $5M reward for Pakistan Taliban leader
- Ripple Powered Mobile App to Provide On-Demand Domestic Payments in Japan
- Trump pardons Navy sailor who took photos inside sub
- Trump vetoed Miss Universe contestants for being 'too ethnic' or 'too dark-skinned'
- Pregnant mom who lost daughter in Park Slope crash 'healing,' family says
- Trump Targets Video Game Violence
- Australia told to be 'respectful' after Warner row
- European Union to respond to United States tariffs within 90 days if not exempt
- Not quite bareback: Scantily clad woman rides horse in Miami Beach nightclub