A police constable of elite anti-Maoist force Greyhounds was killed and three others were also injured.
The encounter operation was conducted jointly by the Telangana and Chhattisgarh Police.More news: Korean athletes to participate in South Paralympics
Reports said a top commander of Naxals and six women cadres are among the dead. "They apparently wanted to ambush us and opened fire", Telangana intelligence wing officials said. Haribhushan's wife Samakka was also killed in the encounter. He carried a reward of ₹30 lakh on his head and was accused of involvement in over 50 criminal cases.
The injured jawan identified as Sushil Kumar was immediately airlifted to a hospital in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur where he succumbed to the injuries.
Large cache of arms and ammunition has been recovered from the encounter site.More news: United Kingdom government should pay Australia child migrants
Greyhounds is a special force of the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh which undertakes operations against Naxals. The bodies of Maoists were also shifted to the town for autopsy. The group demanded post-mortem of the Maoists in the presence of judiciary in either Gandhi hospital here or MGM hospital in Warangal. "We returned fire, resulting in the death of 10 Maoists", Bhadradri Kothagudem superintendent of police Ambar Kishore Jha said.
The incident occurred near Tadpala and Poojarikankedu in Charla block of Jayashankar Bhupalapally district in Telangana.
Senior Maoist leader and it's Telangana secretary Hari Bhushan.More news: Instagram code reveals unreleased voice and video calling
- Convicted sex offender a free man because of technicality
- White House: Trump would have tried to assist during Parkland shooting
- Walmart raises to 21 minimum age to buy firearms, ammo
- This is the Huawei P20 Lite
- Hedley frontman to take indefinite leave following sexual assault allegations
- Kenyan doctors defend colleagues who operated on brain of wrong patient
- Federal Bureau of Investigation said to be investigating Ivanka Trump's business ties
- Tammy Sytch ARRESTED ... WWE Hall of Fame Manager Violated Parole
- Canadian retailer drops outdoor sport brands owned by USA gunmaker
- VENEZUELA: Country Postpones Election To The Second Half Of May