The committee proposed removing the clause "shall serve no more than two consecutive terms" from the constitution, Xinhua reported.
Xi's two predecessors, Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao, both served two five-year terms, but he has signalled that he has bigger ambitions.
The plans to extend Mr Xi’s time in power have echoes of Mao Zedong’s rule
Meaning, President Xi Jinping could stay in the office indefinitely because, for now, he has nearly completed his two terms, and will soon be asked to step down from the presidential seat. If Xi were to stay on as China's leader beyond 2022, he would have to defy that tradition.
At the 19th five-yearly party congress last October, the party unveiled a new seven-member Standing Committee - its top ruling body, that lacked any clear heir apparent to Xi.More news: NRA's Wayne LaPierre Says 'Schools Must Be The Most Hardened Targets'
The Central Committee also proposed inserting "Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era" into the constitution, Xinhua said in a separate report, referring to Xi's guiding political thought that is already in the arguably more important Communist Party constitution.
However, some doubted whether this would require a constitutional change, saying Xi could simply retain power through his role as General Secretary of the CCP, which does not have term limits, rather than the ceremonial presidency. Some see the campaign also as a means for him to eradicate internal opposition.More news: VIrat and Dhoni - OUT, New Team India is ready for Nidahas Trophy
Yang Jing will be kept under observation for one year, Xinhua said, citing the Communist Party's graft buster, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).
China's President Xi Jinping drinks wine as he makes a toast during a banquet in Hong Kong on June 30, 2017.More news: Antonio Conte hopes Paul Pogba is on Manchester United bench
There is no limit on his tenure as the party and military chief, though a maximum 10-year term is the norm.
- LG V30S ThinQ Specs: Some additional RAM and lots of AI
- Ivanka Trump cheers on United States in Big Air competition
- Amitabh Bachchan, Priyanka Chopra and Others Mourn The Death of Sridevi
- Pakistan not on FATF's terror financing watch-list, public announcements reveal
- Andrew Lincoln Performs a Song for a Departing WALKING DEAD Cast Member
- Syria war: UN Security Council approves 30-day ceasefire
- Team USA Won Its First Olympic Curling Gold Ever
- China slams new USA sanctions on North Korea
- MWC 2018: What you can expect to see at the show
- Yemen: Deadly auto bomb attack hits Aden anti-terror camp