USA TODAY's Bob Nightengale first reported the terms.
It's a heck of a deal for Dombrowski.
While a return to the Arizona Diamondbacks remained in the cards throughout the offseason, the Red Sox have also remained on Martinez's radar as Boston attempts to keep up with the power of the arch rival New York Yankees.More news: VR Adventure Game 'Moss' Gets a Launch Date and Trailer
But Dombrowski stayed patient, didn't bid against himself, and appears to have landed Martinez at a reasonable price.
Martinez had been the most coveted bat on the Major League Baseball free agent market and fits perfectly within the Red Sox' 2018 plans, giving them tremendous flexibility. The team ranked 27th in home runs, last season. However, if the Red Sox get him for five years at $110 million, it could turn into quite the bargain.
J.D. Martinez is heading to Boston.More news: Stars represent Time's Up movement at BAFTA film awards
While agent Scott Boras attempted to drum up big-money interest in Martinez elsewhere, reportedly seeking $200 million or more at the outset, it always seemed nearly predestined that he would wind up with the Red Sox, who desperately needed his bat to anchor an offense that hit just 168 home runs last season, by far the fewest in the AL. Martinez turned 30 years old last August, but 2017 was undoubtedly the best year of his career. Martinez definitely could help Boston in that category. "I know there have been some comments that I respect that we didn't have the most popular team, but when I look at (Andrew) Benintendi and Mookie Betts and Rafael Devers and Bogaerts and Bradley, I see energized, young, exciting players".
"I really don't want to talk about free agents - J.D. Martinez or anyone else", Henry said. With a lot of talent around the diamond, the Red Sox lacked power in 2017. With the other teams in the American League, most notably the Yankees, improving this offseason, the Red Sox needed Martinez, and they finally got him.More news: You can now pay utility bills with Google Tez app in India
- Fresh tensions between Israel, Gaza militants unlikely escalate into large-scale conflict
- Alphabet's Verily analyzing retinas w/ machine learning to predict heart disease
- Trump Endorses Mitt Romney For Utah Senate
- Two Teenagers Arrested for Making Threats to Carmel High School
- Oxfam sex scandal: Staff reportedly bullied witness in Haiti inquiry
- Donald Trump Jr. Arrives in India to Promote Trump-Branded Luxury Apartments
- Survey Ranks US Presidents On 'Overall Greatness'
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court unveils new congressional map
- Kremlin breaks silence over United States polls meddling charges
- Pixel Owners Report Battery Life, Overheating Problems