There was an outbreak of the norovirus among Winter Olympics security staff in the lead-up to the Games with 200 reported cases, but it appears that South Korea's efforts to prevent an outbreak have been largely successful so far.
After the dominant performance on Day 1, Yun would need to falter badly over his final two runs to lose gold, and even more so to fall out of medal position.
Nikita Tregubov, who competed as an Olympic Athlete from Russian Federation, was 1.63 seconds off gold, while England's Dom Parsons took bronze.More news: Russian Women's Hockey Team Beats Switzerland, Advances to Olympics' Semifinal
Yun, 23, set the pace with a blistering first run, putting up a track record mark of 50.28 seconds.
On a national holiday in Korea - the start of a lunar new year - Yun became a national hero, winning gold in the men's skeleton event at the Pyeongchang Olympics. South Korea lost its first two games Wednesday: 11-7 to the United States and 7-2 to Sweden. "Why not?" she said, laughing.
Yun Sungbin left no doubt. "I'm very proud to see our South Korean athlete excelling at skeleton".More news: McMaster: Evidence of Russian meddling is 'now really incontrovertible'
South Korean President Moon Jae-in sent a congratulatory message to Yun via his office's Twitter account, using one of the athlete's nicknames, the "skeleton emperor".
Yun Sung-Bin is in position to make history.
Mayer won the speed race by 0.13 seconds ahead of Beat Feuz of Switzerland, who added the silver medal to his bronze from downhill on Thursday.More news: After Florida shooting, students spurred to act against guns
"The second run was the cleanest I've ever had on this track, so it's good to know I can do it", Antoine said. "My biggest wish is that this interest and support not fade out after the Olympics but could lead to finding new talents".
- Former Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely comes back in Congress
- Saturday snow: what to expect
- Deadly Florida shooting rattles Metro Atlanta students and staff
- Small earthquake felt in Wales, southern England
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller files indictment against 13 Russians Video
- Lindsey Vonn visibly frustrated after fourth-place run in Super-G
- Who This Is Us' Sterling K. Brown Plays In Black Panther
- Team USA Gets Smoked by Team World in High-Scoring Bout
- Oxfam chief vows to root out wrongdoing at charity
- Trump cites mental health in Florida shooting, no mention of guns