- A Detroit Police Officer involved in a crash on the city's west side Tuesday morning has died from his injuries, according to Detroit Police Chief James Craig.
Officer Darren Weathers, 25, aka "Lucky", a military officer who fought in Afghanistan, was participating in a surveillance training drill when another auto hit his vehicle.
The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said six of the seven were shot and one died in an auto crash.More news: Kim's sister ends Olympic visit, leaving South to mull offer
"They did everything they could possibly do to save his life", Craig said. Craig said there was a second vehicle involved in the accident, but the two or three people inside the other auto did not suffer any serious injuries.
"There are still things I don't know at this point", Craig said. "We're looking into that". Craig said. Weathers was participating in a surveillance exercise when the crash happened. "I can tell you today I am numb".
He has a young daughter who was scheduled to travel from Georgia to meet with him this week.More news: Anthony Scaramucci If Kelly Lied About Porter ... He's Gotta Go
Police say Smith killed two women before shooting an off-duty police officer, and then shot two more officers.
Weathers - who went by the nickname "Lucky" - had been on the job for only about a year and-a-half at the time of his death.
In a statement, Mayor Mike Duggan said we are all devastated by the sudden loss of Officer Weathers, whom the mayor said "displayed the kind of courage and humanity that exceeded his young age of 25".More news: Indian scribe deported from the Maldives
Weathers was featured in a WDIV-TV, Channel 4 News story and viral video recorded when he stopped to play basketball and compete in running races with some Detroit kids while on patrol last August.
- Trump administration plans to privatize the International Space Station
- Pep Guardiola: 'Vincent Kompany will lift Premier League title'
- Rugby stars questioned over assault declare
- Hafiz Saeed officially declared 'terrorist' by Pakistan
- Can Philadelphia Eagles repeat? 18 questions team must address in 2018 offseason
- Australia captain Smith wins second Allan Border medal
- Snapchat users are not happy about the new update
- African National Congress chiefs to meet to 'finalise' Zuma exit
- Let's Make Technology A Means Of Development, Not Destruction: Modi In UAE
- SC restrains J&K Police from acting on FIR against Army personnel