Directed by R Balki and produced by Twinkle Khanna, "PadMan" is based on the story of Arunachalam Muruganantham, inventor of low-priced sanitary napkins for women in rural areas. Previously, the actor was popular for his work in action and comedy films but recently he has completely changed the nature of his films. For the rejection, the board members offered a clarification that 'we can not compel our (Pakistan) distributors to buy a film that's against our traditions and culture'.
Also, the members of Punjab Film Censor Board refused to watch the film saying it was based on a "taboo subject" and outrightly rejected any clearance certificate to it.More news: Why Tyga wants a DNA test done on Kylie's first born baby
The Express Tribune has described the decision as "shocking".
According to early estimates, the film made Rs 17 crore approx on Sunday. Airlift had a more pan-India appeal due to its patriotic theme whereas Pad Man caters to sanitary hygiene due to which a larger mass appeal can't really be expected. Govt of Pak took to Twitter and wrote, "The decision to issue an NOC by the Ministry of Information Broadcasting National History and Literary Heritage is yet to be taken on the release of a foreign feature film "Padman" as the film has not yet been pre-viewed by the Central Board of Film Censors".More news: BJP will form next government in Tripura: Amit Shah
Balki, who is now in scenic Maheshwari, the city in Madhya Pradesh, where Pad Man was shot, says it is a shame that a film is being seen in a negative light, since it endeavours to eradicate the stigma towards menstrual hygiene. In such circumstances, we can not allow a film whose name, subject and story are not acceptable yet in our society.
For the makers [Akshay, KriArj, Sony], this Balki directed film is a success and what needs to be seen now is how big does it turn out to be eventually. "Hopefully, the news will be confirmed soon whether Padman will be banned in Pakistan or not".More news: House GOP to Continue Dossier Probe Without Memos
- Villa beat rivals Birmingham to boost promotion push
- Wenger understands players better than Mourinho — Henrikh Mkhitaryan
- 3rd Women's ODI: India lose to South Africa by 7 wickets
- Brazil legend Ronaldo wants Neymar in Madrid
- North and South Korea parade together at Winter Games 2018
- Saudi Ritz-Carlton used as prison re-opens to the public
- These Olympic Athletes Are Using Tinder At The Winter Olympics
- White House to Roll Out Trump Infrastructure Plan
- Jose Mourinho digs out Alexis Sanchez & Anthony Martial after Manchester United defeat
- Lionel Messi: 'Manchester City can beat Barcelona to Champions League crown'