Albert Adomah scored his 13th goal of the season on the hour mark and Conor Hourihane netted a second after 81 minutes as Villa moved one point above Derby in the race for automatic promotion to the Premier League.
Calderwood, standing in for the indisposed Steve Bruce, was full of praise for the all-round team performance.
Bruce had to contend with the passing of his father, Joe Bruce, on Tuesday and has also had to care for his mother who has been battling illness.More news: US, S.Korea agree to maintain pressure on N. Korea
"He is a hard-working, experienced manager and he controlled everything terrifically well", his assistant, Colin Calderwood, said afterwards.
"We are certainly enjoying the elation of beating Birmingham on derby day as the players are very focused on the future".
Adomah's side dominated the away side from start to finish.More news: Former WH Official Omarosa Hospitalized During Episode of 'Celebrity Big Brother'
He admitted: 'We didn't have the quality, experience and belief.
Fans had taken to Twitter to state that they had felt Grealish was Man of the Match by a considerable distance and were looking forward to seeing more of him at his best in a Villa shirt.
However, the goal was enough for redemption in the eyes of the fans, with his display really being a game of two halves. They did not perform and it was disappointing.More news: Amid Olympic Détente, Pence Snubs North Koreans In Visit To Pyeongchang
- Winter Olympics 2018: South Korean figure skater Yura Min's wardrobe malfunction
- Kendrick Lamar releases 'Black Panther' Soundtrack
- Potter fights off stars to earn second PGA Tour win
- Angela Merkel insists 'painful' coalition talks have not undermined her authority
- Here's everything awesome from Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony
- Samoa in state of disaster after strong tropical cyclone
- Wisconsin men's basketball: Badgers look to start winning streak against MI
- Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un impersonators ejected from Opening Ceremony
- Queensland storm: Man shocked while showering, 60000 homes without power
- Burning Stock on the move: Ciena Corporation (NYSE:CIEN)