And although Waitrose shoppers complimented the upmarket chain's "top quality produce" and helpful staff, overall customers did not believe the supermarket offered good value for money.
A Sainsbury's spokeswoman said it was "confused by the methodology" used to create the rankings, pointing out that its stores had outperformed the top-ranked in-store supermarket in the star ratings system on measures such as store appearance, queuing time, staff availability and range of products and had matched it on quality of own-label products and fresh products. The chains are scored on customer satisfaction and whether they would recommend the store to a friend.
The larger supermarkets did worse off in the survey, with Sainsbury's (LON: SBRY) coming last of the nine.
"With food costs rising it seems as though shoppers have felt the pinch and are voting with their feet and wallets".More news: Wenger won't rest stars in Europe League
This was largely down to a two-star rating Waitrose was given for value for money, compared to Aldi's five.
The news comes as Tesco continues to feel pressure from Aldi and Lidl, with the latest Kantar data showing earlier this month that the blue-chip's grocer market share had continued to decline in the 12 weeks to January 28, having dipped 0.3 percentage points to 27.8 percent.
Iceland managing director Nigel Broadhurst said: "We are naturally delighted to have been recognised once again as Britain's best online store in the annual Which? supermarket survey".More news: United Nations chief urges dialogue in talks with North Korean official
"The big four supermarkets need to up their game or risk losing their customers to other supermarkets who are doing a better job of giving people what they want", said Neill.
In the online category, Iceland came joint first with Ocado, marking the third consecutive year the frozen food specialist has trumped its rivals.
Amazon Fresh, which only launched in 2016 and is only available in the south east of England, came in fifth position.More news: Gophers ladies crush Penn State, begin homestand on excessive be aware
- Kim Jong-Un Invites South Korea's President To Summit Meeting
- Russian figure skaters win Olympics silver in team competition
- Knife-wielding attacker kills 1, injures 12 in Beijing shopping mall
- Kim Jong-un invites South Korea's President to Pyongyang (Second Lead)
- How to Watch the Winter Olympics, on TV and Mobile Devices
- South Africa's ruling ANC to finalise talks on Zuma's future
- Conte: It's been a 'disaster' convincing Chelsea board to sign players
- SpaceX's rocket check wasn't a whole success - however was shut
- Haryana to withdraw cases against Jats
- Pence `Encouraged' by Talks With South Korea's Moon at Olympics