Shortly afterwards Barclays loaned $3bn (£2.2bn) to the State of Qatar.
The Bank's parent company, Barclays PLC, and several of the firm's former top executives were charged in connection with the same loan in June past year, but the SFO has now chose to extend the charges to the Bank itself. Under the Companies Act, it is unlawful for banks to lend money to themselves.More news: Banks inquiry's first focus on lending
It follows charges against the bank's holding company and four executives in June past year related to the same deal.
Barclays shares shrugged off the news, rising 1 percent to 194.9 pence by 0930 GMT, helped by a broader market rebound from last week's losses, and UBS raising its price target for the stock to 225 pence from 220 pence.
In 2008, to avoid a government bailout, Barclays took a £12bn loan from Qatar Holdings, which is owned by the state of Qatar.More news: SpaceX's rocket check wasn't a whole success - however was shut
Two former top executives also face a charge of unlawful financial assistance.
Barclays former chief executive John Varley and ex-executives Roger Jenkins, Thomas Kalaris, and Richard Boath have all been charged with conspiracy to commit fraud over a June 2008 bid to raise capital.
The move to charge Barclays Bank as well is significant because it holds the banking licence that allows it to operate in different countries.More news: Air India Flight to Ahmedabad Aborts Takeoff After Fire Warning
"However, it is negative that the group hasn't been able to settle a number of outstanding litigation issues, with outstanding litigation representing an unhelpful distraction to the management of the core franchise", the broker pointed out in a note to clients.
- Sport an afterthought as Unified women's team takes the ice
- Knife-wielding attacker kills 1, injures 12 in Beijing shopping mall
- Instagram are testing out Snapchat-style screenshot notifications
- AbbVie Inc (ABBV) Shares Sold by JNBA Financial Advisors
- Conte: It's been a 'disaster' convincing Chelsea board to sign players
- A 17-Year-Old Snowboarder Chloe Kim To Dominate Winter Olympics 2018
- Russian figure skaters win Olympics silver in team competition
- Haryana to withdraw cases against Jats
- How to Watch the Winter Olympics, on TV and Mobile Devices
- More than 200 civilians dead after bloody week in Syria