The petition was mentioned before a bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud which said it would hear it on February 12.
In his plea, Major Kumar's father Karamveer Singh, also a former high-ranking Indian Army officer, told the top court a police case against serving Armymen would have a "numbing effect" on the morale of soldiers operating against all odds in "inhospitable terrain" for the country. Besides seeking Venugopal's assistance in dealing with the matter, the bench asked the state government to file its response to the plea within two weeks. "There is an operation going on now", senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi and advocate Aishwarya Bhati informed the court in behalf of Lt. Col. Karamveer Singh.More news: Kim Jong-un Invites South Korean President to Pyongyang
In his petition, Lt. Colonel Singh states that the FIR falsely implicates his son, who was not present at the place of the incident.
As the unruly behaviour of the "unlawful assembly" reached peak and when they got hold of a Junior Commissioned Officer and were in the process of lynching him to death, warning shots were fired fire to disperse the violent mob and protect public property, it submitted.More news: Peter Rabbit film producers apologise over allergy scene
"The decision to lodge an FIR against a soldier was totally uncalled for".
The manner in which the lodging of the FIR was portrayed and projected by the political leadership and the administration reflected the hostile atmosphere in the state, he said.More news: Mark Bly Acquires 15000 Shares of Baytex Energy Corp (TSE:BTE) Stock
The organisation said that proper or fair investigations were a rarity for the armed forces in the state, and hence it was not surprising that impunity for the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir was "entrenched". According to the Army's narrative, the force's convoy was attacked by a group of stone pelters and its personnel resorted to firing to save themselves, said a PTI report. "A legitimate method of removing any obstacle or impediment for completing the authorised task can be defined as a part of charter of duty", it said.
- 'Oru Adaar Love' Priya Prakash Varrier Is The New Sensation
- 'Pari' new poster out, Anushka is surrounded by demons
- Foles, Eagles shock the world with Super Bowl win
- Australia captain Smith wins second Allan Border medal
- Pakistani Taliban senior commander confirmed killed by United States drone
- Rugby stars questioned over assault declare
- Unilever Threatens to Pull Ads from Google, Facebook "Swamp"
- Can Philadelphia Eagles repeat? 18 questions team must address in 2018 offseason
- Laura Dahlmeier claims second biathlon gold
- The Coca-Cola Co (KO) Shares Bought by Cornerstone Capital Inc