Potter finished at 17-under 270 for his second PGA Tour win, after his previous success in 2012.
The 34-year-old was tied for the lead with World No 1 Dustin Johnson heading into the final round in California but while the latter could only muster a level-par 72, Potter followed his stunning 62 on Saturday with a three-under 69. The Florida native closed it out in veteran fashion, making 11 straight pars to hold off the likes of Johnson, Jason Day and Phil Mickelson. It was a long time coming for the feisty lefty who battled his way back to the PGA Tour after suffering an injury in 2014 that caused him to miss almost two years of competition.
After a bogey at the third, he rolled in birdies at the fourth, sixth and seventh - where he drained a 28-footer to get to 16-under for the tournament.More news: Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin
That injury kept him out of golf for two years and then back to the secondary tour a year ago. To come back from that it's just unbelievable right now. Johnson was quick out of the blocks with an eagle at the par-five second hole.
Perhaps the Genesis Open - which begins on Thursday - will provide a better chance for Lowry with precision the key at the tree-lined Riviera, something that should allow the Offalyman's short game skills shine.
"All in all, still a good week, you know, T-two I guess is not awful, but I would have liked to put a little bit more pressure on Ted today", Johnson said.More news: North Korea stages show of force with new missiles during parade
Mickelson mounted somewhat of a final day challenge in shooting 67 to set a clubhouse target at 14 under but Potter was never faltering.
While Potter celebrated victory, joint runner-up Mickelson's winless drought since the 2013 British Open continued, though he drew positives from three birdies in the final five holes for a 67.
Reavie increased Potter's cushion when he bogeyed the par-five 14th to slip back alongside Troy Merritt, with Johnson rolling in from five feet at the 13th to make it a three-way tie for second.More news: Kim Yo Jong Fascinates, And Puzzles, In South Korea
- Queensland storm: Man shocked while showering, 60000 homes without power
- Trump's Bold Memo Snub Risks High-Stakes Standoff with Dems, Feds,
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean president for talks in the North
- France presses Russian Federation over Syria as more die in besieged rebel area
- Pratt & Whitney engine issue could ground some planes
- Historically, North And South Korea's Talks Haven't Accomplished Much
- Israel not on Tillerson's itinerary as Secretary of State begins MidEast tour
- Winter Olympics kicks off with Korean show of unity
- 49ers LB Reuben Foster Arrested For Domestic Violence
- Trump aide's abuse scandal bruises White House