An American drone attack in northwestern Pakistan is believed to have killed a high-profile militant commander along with several of his aides. Mufti Wali Noor has now been appointed as his successor, said Monday's TTP announcement.
Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad Faisal, told reporters in Islamabad Friday he was unaware of the drone strike.
They said the target of Thursday's strike was the Haqqani network.
U.S. officials in Islamabad had no immediate comment.More news: Antonio Conte reiterates desire to fulfil Chelsea contract
Sajna was wanted by Washington for his role in terrorist attacks against US citizens.
Islamabad maintains TTP leaders and militants who escaped the army offensive have taken shelter in volatile Afghan border areas and plot terrorist attacks against Pakistan from there.
Recently, the terrorist attacks by the Taliban had increased in Afghanistan leading the U.S. to consider "unilateral steps in areas of divergence" to counter the militants.
Spokesman for the outlawed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Mohammad Khorasani said in a statement sent to the local media that Sajna, deputy chief of the group, was killed in the USA drone attack in North Waziristan tribal region on February 8.More news: Turkey's relations with U.S. at make-or-break point - Mevlut Cavusoglu
The Western-backed government in Kabul has been struggling to fend off the Taliban and other militant groups since the withdrawal of most North Atlantic Treaty Organisation troops in 2014.
But militants have reacted violently, launching a wave of deadly attacks across the war-torn country, including in Kabul, in a devastating display of defiance.
Spokesman Faisal said the two sides under the Afghanistan-Pakistan Action Plan for Peace and Solidarity engagement are discussing counterterrorism cooperation, repatriation of Afghan refugees from Pakistan, and ways to promote a peaceful settlement to the Afghan conflict. The Afghan government alleged the violence was plotted in Pakistan.More news: Peter Rabbit film producers apologise over allergy scene
- Deadly Flu Season In Full Swing, Up To 4000 Weekly Deaths Recorded
- Joint Olympic team makes history for two Koreas
- MI officer shot during barricaded gunman incident
- Redmi Note 5 India Launch is Scheduled for February 14
- Rival Koreas march under one flag at Pyeongchang opening ceremony
- NASA probe "New Horizons" snaps farthest-ever photo from Earth
- EPL: Aguero nets four in Man City rout
- Foles, Eagles shock the world with Super Bowl win
- Kim Jong-un Invites South Korean President to Pyongyang
- Jordan Clarkson makes first basket with Cavaliers in debut vs. Boston