She is the first USA woman to successfully land a triple axel at the Olympics, and the third in the world to do it.
Regardless, Canada's quest for a medal its skaters said they set about winning ever since they wound up second in Sochi was complete with one program remaining. The skate was part of the figure skating team event.
Mirai Nagasu was so pumped after nailing triple axel
But before we get to that, let's recap her performance from Sunday night in the women's individual portion of the team event.
American Kimmie Meissner also landed a triple axel at the 2005 U.S. Nationals, but Harding and Nagasu remain two of just seven women ever to land the jump at worldwide competition.More news: QUALCOMM, Inc. (QCOM) Shares Sold by Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services Inc
24-year-old U.S, figure skater Mirai Nagasu became the first American female to land a triple axel on Monday at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Also on Sunday, Bradie Tennell finished fifth in the women's short program.
Nathan Chen performs in the men's short program.More news: Samoa in state of disaster after strong tropical cyclone
The 10-time national champion and 2014 Olympic silver medalist moved Canada closer to that highly sought gold, extending its lead by a point. She took first ahead of Nagasu by almost 21 points.
As did the team bronze medal, of course.More news: Former WH Official Omarosa Hospitalized During Episode of 'Celebrity Big Brother'
Canada's Patrick Chan and Olympic Athletes from Russia's Mikhail Kolyada both had falls, but benefited from including quads in their program to finish first and second respectively. "I went out there and I did my job".
- Full-length robes not a must for Saudi women: Cleric
- Jerusalem was highlight of my year, says Donald Trump
- Canadian Figure Skaters Drop Horniest Part Of Routine To Secure #1 Spot
- Angela Merkel insists 'painful' coalition talks have not undermined her authority
- Saudi Ritz-Carlton used as prison re-opens to the public
- Jose Mourinho digs out Alexis Sanchez & Anthony Martial after Manchester United defeat
- Modi meets French PM Philippe, discusses ways to strengthen ties
- JB Hi-Fi shares slump on margin warning
- Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un impersonators ejected from Opening Ceremony
- PM Modi delivers keynote address in UAE