A spokesman for the airport added: "All passengers due to travel from London City on Monday are advised to contact their airline for further information".
It's not yet publicly known what type of bomb it is, nor when the airport will reopen.
Image A 214-metre exclusion zone has been put in place
"Following the discovery of a World War II ordnance in King George V Dock as part of planned development works, a 214m exclusion zone has been implemented", the airport said in a statement.
Police said ordnance was discovered at the George V Dock in North Woolwich during scheduled work at the airport just after 5 a.m. local time, authorities said in a news release.More news: Mirai Nagasu was so pumped after nailing triple axel
After the Nazi-era device was analysed by Royal Navy experts a 200-yard exclusion zone was put in place at 10pm last night, forcing the airport to close and potentially bringing chaos to passengers.
Royal Navy specialists established an exclusion zone of more than 200 meters (650 feet) to handle the situation, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.More news: Lionel Messi: 'Manchester City can beat Barcelona to Champions League crown'
The airport has closed and severe disruption is expected to affect inbound and outbound flights on Monday while engineers remove the device. "London City Airport are urging passengers to contact their airline before travelling". Surrounding roads have also been closed.
The London City Airport is an global airport located in the Newham Borough of East London.More news: Why Tyga wants a DNA test done on Kylie's first born baby
- Australian sites among thousands hacked to include mining script
- Winter Olympics 2018: Snowboarder Jamie Anderson gives Team USA its second gold
- SGX looks to avoid India's Nifty licence limits
- 3rd Women's ODI: India lose to South Africa by 7 wickets
- Will North Koreans try to defect at the Olympics?
- Brazil legend Ronaldo wants Neymar in Madrid
- North and South Korea parade together at Winter Games 2018
- Wenger understands players better than Mourinho — Henrikh Mkhitaryan
- BJP will form next government in Tripura: Amit Shah
- Uncle charged with murder after death of niece, 11