"Manchester City are one of the strongest teams around, as well as Paris Saint-Germain", four-time victor Messi told the Mirror.
After a first half of the season that was mostly restricted to substitute appearances for the winger - being kept out of the starting line up by PSG's new-look front three of Neymar, Edinson Cavani and Kylian Mbappe - Di Maria has made a fast start to 2018.More news: 3rd Women's ODI: India lose to South Africa by 7 wickets
"My move to Barca was really close but ultimately it did not go through", Di Maria told Tyc Sports, one of Argentina's main Sport channels.
"I also do not exclude Real Madrid in terms of quality and experience, even though they have not yet achieved the expected results".
Despite fears over his game time, Di Maria has scored 4 goals in his last 4 outings including a hattrick the last time out. He has played with both at club level and at the national level respectively.More news: Uncle charged with murder after death of niece, 11
If Di Maria had secured his switch to Ernesto Valverde's outfit, he would have been afforded the chance to play alongside fellow countryman Messi, someone who he believes is the best player in the world, despite winning both La Liga and the Champions League with Cristiano Ronaldo.
Following Neymar's £197m move to PSG last summer, reports suggested Barcelona were interested in signing Di Maria with part of those funds. "Cristiano Ronaldo is special but Messi is from another planet". A win-win for all the parties involved.More news: Huddersfield boss Wagner delighted with 'huge win' over Bournemouth
- North and South Korea parade together at Winter Games 2018
- Winter Olympics 2018: Snowboarder Jamie Anderson gives Team USA its second gold
- Wenger understands players better than Mourinho — Henrikh Mkhitaryan
- Brazil legend Ronaldo wants Neymar in Madrid
- Villa beat rivals Birmingham to boost promotion push
- House GOP to Continue Dossier Probe Without Memos
- Saudi Ritz-Carlton used as prison re-opens to the public
- London City Airport Shutdown After Discovery Of WWII Bomb
- Australian sites among thousands hacked to include mining script
- S. Korean president's approval rating stays high ahead of Winter Olympics