South Korean President Moon Jae-in took advantage of the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Olympic Games on Friday to exchange historic handshakes with two top North Korean leaders present for the occasion.
Moon asked the North Korean team.
Vice President Mike Pence did not deliberately snub North Koreans at an Olympic reception, according to USA officials who pushed back on South Korean reports that Pence deliberately came late to a VIP gathering Friday evening and then snubbed officials from Pyongyang.More news: Peter Rabbit film producers apologise over allergy scene
"I understand what Prime Minister Abe said is not to delay South Korea-US military drills until there is progress in the denuclearization of North Korea (DPRK)".
A senior White House official said Pence was not trying to avoid the delegation from North Korea but rather ignore them, according to the AP.More news: Rugby stars questioned over assault declare
The U.S. leader vowed before and during his trip to South Korea that he would not let the North use the Olympics as a propaganda tool to cover up its human rights abuses.
North Korean defector Ji Seong-ho embraces Fred Warmbier, father of Otto Warmbier, while Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence looks on.
And as Tracy reported earlier this week, the first member of North Korea's ruling family to cross the border, Kim Yo Jong was never guaranteed a warm welcome from all South Koreans. However, the U.S. Treasury Department a year ago included on its list of blacklisted officials over her position as vice director of the ruling Workers' Party's Propaganda and Agitation Department.More news: Winter Olympics opening ceremony sees Intel use record 1218 drones
- US Vice-President Mike Pence raises prospect of talks with North Korea
- Unilever Threatens to Pull Ads from Google, Facebook "Swamp"
- Let's Make Technology A Means Of Development, Not Destruction: Modi In UAE
- 'Oru Adaar Love' Priya Prakash Varrier Is The New Sensation
- Salman Khan, Sonakshi Sinha reunite in their next Welcome To New York
- Can Philadelphia Eagles repeat? 18 questions team must address in 2018 offseason
- Australia captain Smith wins second Allan Border medal
- Mark Bly Acquires 15000 Shares of Baytex Energy Corp (TSE:BTE) Stock
- Kim's sister ends Olympic visit, leaving South to mull offer
- Anthony Scaramucci If Kelly Lied About Porter ... He's Gotta Go