LONDON, Feb 12 ― Jose Mourinho lamented his side's poor finishing after Manchester United suffered a first loss to Newcastle United for five years at St James' Park in the Premier League yesterday.More news: Wisconsin men's basketball: Badgers look to start winning streak against MI
The one player who many decided was at fault however was Chris Smalling, who had a bad game - and it was said defender who Mourinho actually defended following the game, and made it clear he thinks defenders have to give away fouls at some point - and it seems that the main annoyance for the United boss was actually that the side managed to lose balls in the air - something they simply don't expect and something the manager will not accept.
However, Ritchie's 65th-minute victor came against the run of play and the Magpies had to defend for their lives as time ran down.
Explaining his decision to remove Pogba on Sky Sports after the match, Mourinho said: "I wanted a better way to come out in the first phase against a team defending in a compact block". You have to work like they did today, it was an wonderful effort. The free kick was awarded when United defender Chris Smalling dived theatrically when challenging for a midfield ball and was shown a yellow card.More news: QUALCOMM, Inc. (QCOM) Shares Sold by Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services Inc
He added: "A defender has to concede free-kicks now and again".
'We had some [chances] with the score at 0-0. "Alexis (Sanchez) had an open goal and then the countless opportunities of the last 20-25 minutes", he said. He was composed and that gave confidence to the team.
"What a performance from Newcastle, and you have to say they deserved to win the match".More news: United States shares snap larger a day after coming into a 'correction'
"We worked as hard as other games, but against a team like Manchester United every ball is important, they can punish you, so you work like them". But they fought like animals to have luck on their side.
- Here's everything awesome from Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony
- Mirai Nagasu was so pumped after nailing triple axel
- US, S.Korea agree to maintain pressure on N. Korea
- North Korean media print pictures of South's Moon
- JB Hi-Fi shares slump on margin warning
- Winter Olympics 2018: South Korean figure skater Yura Min's wardrobe malfunction
- Former WH Official Omarosa Hospitalized During Episode of 'Celebrity Big Brother'
- Canadian Figure Skaters Drop Horniest Part Of Routine To Secure #1 Spot
- Why Tyga wants a DNA test done on Kylie's first born baby
- Angela Merkel insists 'painful' coalition talks have not undermined her authority